It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the prospect of challenging DIY home projects. But it doesn’t have to be that way! Read on (or watch the video) for 10 easy updates for your home that you can do THIS WEEKEND.
These are realistic, actionable ideas anyone can accomplish!
There’s nothing quite as rewarding as a quick fix! Instant gratification. Fortunately, there are so many updates you can make to your home… whether it’s five minutes, an hour or less than a weekend!
These are my favorite easy updates that make a big impact with little effort. So many of them are inexpensive, too! It’s a win win, right?
Don’t miss a video! Subscribe on YouTube!
Easy Home Projects
1. Replace Hardware
Before we renovated our kitchen we updated oak cabinets (without painting them) with the help of new hardware. At the cost of $100 and less than an hour’s worth of time, it completely transformed our kitchen.
Even if you don’t love the finish of your bathroom or kitchen cabinets, a simple hardware switch can make an incredible improvement!
2. Update Outlets and Light Switch Plates
Through the years, outlets and light switch plates can become dirty, discolored or mismatched. Updating them can make your home immediately feel fresh!
We replaced all of ours with architectural plates to make them feel more thoughtful, but even plain traditional white plates will do!
You can find more ideas on how to make an old home feel new here.
3. Update Your Floors
- Add a rug – this is the quickest and easiest fix! Choose a pet friendly rug, indoor outdoor rug, or a turkish rug. Even a stair runner can make a significant difference with less than an hour of effort!
- Peel and stick flooring – we used $1 peel and stick in our previous home and were able to complete our entire basement in an afternoon!
- Paint Concrete. Painted concrete can be really practical for a mudroom, laundry room or basement. Learn how to paint concrete for a durable finish.
- Paint Tile. Another easy, inexpensive and durable option you can knock out over a weekend! Learn how to paint tile and the best tile paint to use!
- Refresh your grout with this incredible grout stain process we found here… it takes even the most dirty and discolored grout and makes your tiling look brand new!
4. Add a Plant
It sounds simple, I know… but it can really change the feel of your room. Even the joyful process of heading to your local nursery to choose a new plant can change your entire attitude!
The simple addition of integrating something organic into a room brings a space to life! It’s a pro tip that all designers and magazines use and now you can, too!
5. Add Light
This can mean a variety of things… remove old window coverings that aren’t doing your rooms any favors, or change sconces or chandeliers for a dramatic change.
6. Hang Curtains
Hang them the right way!
A friend once sent me a photograph and asked how she could improve her window. Her curtains made her window appear small and her ceiling appear low. You can get tips and trick to learn how to hang curtains the right way here! (Psst… that’s one of my most popular posts ever – don’t miss it!)
They immediately add elegance, softness, and even a little drama to your spaces.
I’m going to be honest with you here… this is my favorite pastime! If you don’t use it, don’t need it, or don’t want it… why keep it?
The simple act of removing unnecessary items from your life can make an incredible improvement in your home.
Print this decluttering checklist, pick a space and get started! Share a photo in our Facebook group Celebrating Simple to show us what you’ve accomplished!
There’s no quicker fix than a fresh coat of paint. Some ideas include:
- Painting furniture. To get started you just need furniture paint and learn how to paint without sanding.
- Paint a room. You can find all of my favorite paint colors and tips here.
- Paint a floor. This is perfect for concrete basements! Learn how to paint a concrete floor here.
9. Organize a Space
Organization can blend function and design. Choose a space no matter how small or large and get started! Check out this post about storage container ideas for prettier ways to add function to your home with organization.
Head over here to find 5 easy organization projects you can do in a weekend for more ideas!
10. Hang Art
Purchase a new piece of art… or old! Head out to your favorite local thrift store or antique shop to find something truly unique, or choose from one of these 20 Easy DIY Wall Decor Ideas and give your space a fresh new look!
Want to learn more about my favorite home decisions we’ve made? Check them out here.
What’s your favorite tip for a fast home upgrade? Did I miss any quick fixes?