Mexican spaghetti is a flavored pasta bake that comes together easily for a hearty family meal. This chicken spaghetti dish is pure comfort food and requires just a few pantry ingredients.
I’m going to veer from my traditional, made from scratch recipes to share one of my nephew’s favorite recipes! Any time he returns home from college he begs for my sister to make it.
Given the current climate, it’s time to turn to canned good recipes with amazing flavor.
Pasta bakes are a great comfort food. They are so easy to make and because of the shortcuts in this recipe, there’s no need to make a sauce from scratch. It’s loaded with Mexican flavors and is for sure a crowd pleaser.
Mexican Spaghetti Ingredients
- Chicken Breast – I like to use my juicy baked chicken breast which takes just a few minutes to make. Alternatively you can use pre-cooked rotisserie chicken or even frozen chicken. It will be coated in the cheesiest sauce.
- Taco Seasoning – You can make your own taco seasoning for this recipe or use store bought.
- Angel Hair Pasta – Skinny spaghetti makes for tender noodles.
- Rotel – Rotel canned tomatoes are fire roasted with green chilies and boost the flavor in this dish.
- Cream of Chicken Soup – Using canned soup is a quick and easy way to get this pasta wonderfully creamy without needing to make a sauce from scratch. It’s the easiest shortcut for a recipe like this!
- Salsa – Use your favorite salsa. I used traditional for this dish, but you can mix up the flavor with your favorite!
- Sour Cream – adds to the creamy rich flavor of this pasta bake.
- Cheese – I used cheddar and monterey jack in this dish, but you can experiment with what you have on hand or use one or the other.
How To Make Mexican Spaghetti
- Prep – preheat oven and grease baking dish.
- Prepare Chicken – Brush chicken breast on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Bake 20-25 minutes. If you’re using frozen or rotisserie chicken you can skip this step. Cube chicken and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Prepare Pasta – Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Prepare Sauce – Combine rotel, cream of chicken, salsa, sour cream, 1 cup cheese and taco seasoning in pot (not over heat). Stir.
- Combine – Add spaghetti and chicken to mixture and stir until well combined.
- Bake – Transfer into baking dish and cover with remaining cheese. Loosely cover with aluminum foil. Bake 25 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro
- I like to make this bake with angel hair pasta, it has a much lighter quality to it. You can substitute spaghetti or any pasta you have on hand.
- Under-cook your pasta a little since you’re adding so much time in the oven for baking.
- Bake pasta in a preheated oven so that it cooks evenly.
- Cover the pasta with foil when you bake it. This will prevent cheese from burning while ensuring that the dish is cooked through.
Can You Make This Ahead Of Time?
You can make, then keep it covered in the fridge for up to 24 hours until you are ready to bake it.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat portions in the microwave or heat through in the oven.
What Do You Serve With Mexican Chicken?
We really enjoy this served as it is, scooped into bowls and finished with a little fresh cilantro. If you like, you can scoop it into hard taco shells and top with fresh lettuce for a twist on taco Tuesday.
If you want to go all out, add some of your favorite Mexican toppings to this chicken spaghetti bake; sliced avocado, jalapeños and a little extra shredded cheese will all work well.
I make the sauce in the pot to eliminate excess dishes. If you make in cast iron, it’s a one dish pasta recipe! Simply boil your noodles in a large cast iron, drain pasta, mix the sauce in the pot, return pasta, stir and bake.
More Pasta Recipes
- Pasta con Broccoli
- Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Creamy Fontina Pasta
- Basil Lemon Pasta
- White Wine Sauce
- Spaghetti with Mizithra Cheese
Want more? Receive the best ideas directly to your inbox and connect on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest!
If you try this recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 8 ounces angel hair pasta half box
- 1 can rotel 10 ounce
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup 10 ounce
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups cheese finely shredded – cheddar, monterey jack or a combination of both
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray 9×13 baking dish.
- Brush chicken breast on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- Cube chicken and reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Combine rotel, cream of chicken, salsa, sour cream, 1 cup cheese and taco seasoning in pot (no heat). Stir.
- Add spaghetti and chicken to mixutre and stir until well combined.
- Transfer into baking dish and cover with remaining cheese. Loosely cover with aluminum foil. Bake 25 minutes.
- Optional: garnish with cilantro
- I like to make this bake with angel hair pasta, it has a much lighter quality to it. If you are in a pinch you can use spaghetti.
- Bake the pasta in a preheated oven so that it cooke evenly.
- Cover the pasta with foil when you bake it. This will stop the top from burning but ensure that the whole dish is cooked through.
- You can prepare up to 24 hours in advance and bake when you are ready to serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container or covered refrigerated for up to 3 days.