Sweet Bread is so incredibly easy to make and only takes 5 minutes hands on time. This easy Sweet Bread recipe requires only staple ingredients: sugar, flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk and vegetable oil! It’s easy quick bread recipe for breakfast, snack or dessert that also makes a beautiful neighbor, hostess or holiday gift!
Sweet Bread is a quick and easy no yeast bread recipe. It is made with just staple ingredients – in minutes! It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, snacks and dessert. There are so many variations you can make with this classic recipe including Cinnamon Sweet Bread and Orange Sweet Bread, which are traditional around Christmas.
I often make it when we’re having last minute guests for a playdate or as a quick hostess gift. You can adapt this simple sweet bread recipe with your favorite fruits, but it’s perfection on it’s own as well. I love to slather a little butter on it for good measure.
This time of year, Michael’s offers miniature ceramic loaf pans for just $1. I always stock up on them in white to use throughout the year. They are more durable than paper loaf pans and make a beautiful gift.
This recipe yields 6 pretty little loaves, if you’re willing to share!
Sweet Bread Ingredients
- Sugar – White granulated sugar makes this bread delightfully sweet. Optional: sprinkle sugar over the loaf just before baking for a shimmery finish.
- Flour – All purpose flour is the foundation of this bread.
- Baking Powder – Leavens quick bread, without the fuss! It ensures a nice even rise.
- Salt – A hint of salt brings out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Eggs – The binding agent.
- Milk – Milk creates a nice soft loaf. In addition, milk adds flavor to quick breads and gives it a beautiful brown color due to caramelization of milk and sugars!
- Oil – Vegetable oil makes the bread incredibly moist, with a light and delicate crumb.
How to Make Sweet Bread
- Combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients.
- Incorporate dry mixture into wet mixture until just combined and pour into greased loaf pans.
- Sprinkle sugar on top to make your Sweet Bread glisten and bake! It’s SO easy!
- Large Loaves – Don’t want 6 miniature loaves? You can also make this Sweet Bread recipe in 2 – 1 pound loaf pans or cut the recipe in half for just 1 loaf pan and bake 50 minutes or until it passes the toothpick test.
- Make Muffins – If you prefer to make them into muffins, just grease miniature muffin tins and fill each to 2/3 full. Bake 12 minutes.
- Make it Ornate – Alternatively, you can also bake it in an ornate loaf pan with the same minimal effort!
- This bread is amazing on it’s own, but you can also cover sweet bread with Glaze (or drizzle if you show any restraint). Cream Cheese Glaze, Orange Glaze Recipe or Lemon Glaze are some of our favorites! Because it makes 6 miniature loaves, you can try them all! Seriously, soooo good! Through the years we’ve made it in a variety of ways. I tend to make it as written in the recipe card below for breakfast, brunch or to serve with dinner and add a little glaze to leftovers for dessert.
- Add fruits
- Add nuts
- Make it with brown sugar (see my Brown Sugar Bread recipe)
- Add chocolate chips
- Add an extract like vanilla, lemon or almond
How to Store Bread
- Store quick bread in a sealed plastic bag or covered in saran wrap at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- To freeze loaves, wrap them tightly in heavy foil, saran wrap or place them in freezer bags (I like to do at least 2 to prevent freezer odors from seeping in), and freeze for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature to serve.
I hope this sweet bread recipe makes your holiday entertaining and gifting a little easier. You can find all of my bread recipes here, including beer bread (which I highly recommend smothering with honey butter).
You’ll Also Love These Easy Quick Bread Recipes
If you try this recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!
Are you on the list? Subscribers receive access to my free printable library that includes “Wishing you a sweet Christmas” gift tags. Get your free copy the ebook 10 Sweet Bread Recipes as well!
Sweet Bread Recipe
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- Grease 6 mini loaf pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat eggs, milk and oil.
- Gradually add dry mixture to wet until just moist.
- Pour batter into pans an inch below to compensate for rise. Optional: sprinkle sugar on top.
- Bake 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar
- Make cinnamon sugar bread by swirling it in
- Add fruits, nuts or chocolate chips
- Add a Glaze - Cream Cheese Glaze, Lemon Glaze or Orange Glaze