Get all the best tips and tricks to create Walking Tacos! If you’ve never had a Taco in a Bag, you’re missing out on all the fun. This easy Walking Taco Recipe is the easiest way to make your Bag Tacos look and taste oh-so-good for parties, game day and beyond!
What Are Walking Tacos?
It’s the simplest of concepts, but if you’re not familiar with the idea, I’m sure it sounds foreign and perhaps a little strange! Walking tacos are simply a combination of all your favorite taco ingredients, right inside a portable chip bag. It’s an easy way to feed a crowd, because they are easy to customize- and everyone loves tacos. Eating your taco in a bag means that you can literally walk around, socializing while snacking… what could be better than that when it comes to party food?
This walking taco recipe is perfect for game day, camping and outdoor picnics, and everywhere in between. Walking tacos are a great way to serve multiple guests when entertaining. The basic base for this walking taco recipe is a single-serving bag of Doritos or Corn Chips- how easy is that? Guests will then wander through your walking taco set-up, adding taco meat and whatever toppings they desire. Clean-up is a cinch, too! It’s so easy to make a taco in a bag, and so much fun to boot!
Ingredients for Tacos in a Bag
This is completely customizable according to your personal preferences, but there are several key components to walking tacos that you’ll definitely need to have on hand. Essentially, this is just a taco recipe that you’ll customize as you wish! I’ll go into my favorite topping ideas here in a bit- but these ingredients are most important. I’d go so far as to say they are necessities for a delicious bag taco night!
- 93/7 Lean Ground Beef- It’s the perfect ratio – just greasy enough, without being too greasy.
- Frito Lay Corn chips- in individual serving bags. We also like to use Doritos to mix it up- your call! It’s fun to provide both options of chip bags for guests when you’re serving a crowd.
- Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning- I used to make my own taco seasoning, but we really enjoy this blend and as I mentioned before, it’s effortless. You can substitute a little red pepper and onion flake if you prefer.
- Fresh shredded monterey jack or colby jack cheese- I know it’s so much easier to buy a bag of pre-shredded cheese, but this is one of the best ways to make your walking taco night so much more delicious. The best cheese is usually reserved for blocks, is has less preservatives and remains in tact, making it much so much creamier and easier to melt than pre-shredded cheese.
- Sour cream- with optional fiesta ranch mix. Yes, sour cream is a Midwestern staple and walking tacos just wouldn’t be the same without it! Add that fiesta ranch seasoning packet for an extra dose of delicious flavor.
Walking Taco Recipe
It’s so simple- in fact, you can barely call this a recipe at all!
- Cook your ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up with a masher or base of a wooden spoon and stir in taco seasoning until just brown.
- Optional: Want to get a little fancy with your ground beef? Add a can of diced green chiles and a small diced onion as you’re browning. It’s a big flavor reward for very little effort!
- Optional: combine ranch mix and sour cream.
- Top the chips in your bag tacos with ground beef, shredded cheese and sour cream, plus so much more!
One of the most frequently-asked questions I receive: “Where are those cute little wooden forks from?” I love these disposable wooden utensils. So much cuter than plastic!
The Best Toppings for Bag Tacos
There are so many fun ideas to top a taco in a bag! You can be as complicated or as simple as you like for your walking taco bar, in fact. There’s probably no such thing as a gourmet walking taco recipe… but you can certainly elevate the whole concept with the taco toppings you choose!
Consider the following ideas:
- Shredded Cheese – Freshly shredded! You won’t regret this easy extra step! We love colby jack cheese, cheddar, monterey jack, or even a crumbled queso cotija.
- Shredded Lettuce – Here’s an area where I think it’s totally fine to save some time. You can buy shredded iceberg lettuce and that works perfectly here.
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Chipotle Corn Salsa – Oh my goodness, this is so good! It’s amazing as a dip or serve it on top of all your favorite Mexican dishes.
- Sliced Olives
- Diced Onions
- Guacamole or Sliced Avocados
- Beans – Try the Cream Cheese Bean Dip I mention below as a dip. It works as a side dish or a topping- so good!
- Pico De Gallo
- Sour Cream – as I mentioned above, you can even get a little crazy and add some Fiesta Ranch seasoning to your sour cream for an extra kick of flavor!
- Creamy Jalapeño Dip – Why not give your taco in a bag a little kick? Yum!
One of my favorite ideas for walking taco night? Serve all your toppings in these adorable taco bowls! They are so easy to make and they create the cutest presentation for serving to guests!
What to Serve with Walking Tacos
You can absolutely serve these bag tacos all on their own, right? I mean… there’s lettuce and guacomole on top, so I am pretty sure that covers all the food groups for a solid rounded meal. However, adding a plethora of sides, dips and cocktails will make your walking taco night one for the memory books! Depending on whether we serve these for a family night or a football game, I like to switch what I serve accordingly.
Here’s a few of my favorite super easy recipes that we like to serve for bag taco night!
- Lime Popsicle Margaritas
- Classic Homemade Margarita Recipe
- Skinny Margarita Recipe
- Watermelon Margarita
- Mango Margarita Float
- Mexican Street Corn
- Mexican Pasta Salad
- Make an easy side salad with my Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette Salad Dressing
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes You’ll Love
If you’re excited to host your own bag taco night, you’re going to love these other Mexican-inspired dinner ideas. My family loves Mexican flavors and I enjoy sharing my favorite recipes with you! Check out these favorite Mexican entrees:
- The Best Chicken Nachos
- Incredibly Easy Beef Tacos
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Tacos
What’s your family’s favorite taco toppings? Have you ever had a walking taco? I’d love to hear from you! If you make this walking taco recipe, please come back and share a comment and review. I’m always excited to hear from readers- thanks for following along!
The Best Walking Taco Recipe
Learn how to create Walking Tacos for your next party! If you've never had a Taco in a Bag, you're missing all the fun. Bag Tacos never looked so good!
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 pound ground beef lean 93/7
- 1/2 package taco seasoning
- 12 bags Fritos Corn Chips
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/4 pkg Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch Dip optional
Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up with a masher or base of a wooden spoon and stir in taco seasoning until just brown.
Optional: combine ranch mix and sour cream.
Fill chip bags for walking tacos with ground beef, shredded cheese, fiesta sour cream and so much more.
- Fresh shredded monterey jack or colby jack cheese. It takes just 2 minutes and is totally worth it. The best cheese is usually reserved for blocks, plus it has less preservatives and remains in tact, making it much creamier than pre-shredded cheese.
- Sliced Olives
- Diced Onions
- Guacamole or Sliced Avocados
- Pico De Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Lettuce