The best Ground Beef Taco Recipe is classic, delicious and super easy. This easy taco recipe can be made in less than 10 minutes with a few simple ingredients, meaning you can get dinner on the table fast! The bonus – it’s incredibly flavorful and low in calories, too!
I’ve been making this ground beef taco “recipe” for years, but when we purchased the lake cottage, it became a weekly staple. Why? Because it’s quick, easy, almost mindless and everyone in our family devours them without a complaint. Pretty much a miracle for anything with meat in our family!
Last summer when my sister joined us at the lake she seemed a little uneasy about beef tacos, but ever a great houseguest, didn’t complain. She was pleasantly surprised when she took her first bite and returned for seconds. They’re that good. It’s so hard not too!
Imagine my surprise when my sister suggested I share the recipe with you – given I didn’t even really realize it was one. She brought them to a neighbor’s house for dinner and not only has that neighbor continued to rave about them, but others have caught on now as well.
Each weekend at the lake I have a mental grocery list for sandwiches, tacos, breakfast and snacks – it doesn’t change, which keeps it effortless, and we all look forward to it, each and every weekend. This Ground Beef Taco recipe makes a great weeknight dinner for the same reasons!
I know, I know, these are easy. A little pre-fab, but with all the right ingredients, this ground beef taco recipe is out of this world.
What Ground Beef Is Best For Tacos?
To make the best beef tacos, the best ground beef is a must. The key to choosing the best beef for tacos is to find beef that is ground right in the store you are buying it. At grocery stores and supermarkets, this is at the beef counter. Simply ask the butcher behind the counter – that’s why they’re there!
To keep this beef taco recipe low calorie, I like to purchase lean ground beef, also known as the 93/7 variety. If you would like a higher fat content, simply purchase an 85/15 or 80/20, whichever they have on hand.
The Best Ground Beef Taco Recipe Ingredients
- Monterey Jack Cheese – Fresh shredded monterey jack or colby jack cheese. It takes just 2 minutes and is totally worth it. The best cheese is usually reserved for blocks, have less preservatives and remains in tact, making it much creamier than pre-shredded cheese.
- Ground Beef – As noted earlier, I like 93/7 lean ground beef. It’s the perfect ratio – just greasy enough, without being too greasy.
- Old El Paso Original Taco Seasoning – I used to make my own taco seasoning, but we really enjoy this blend and as I mentioned before, it’s effortless. You can substitute a little red pepper and onion flake if you prefer.
- La Tiara Corn Taco Shells – Toast them in the oven for just a minute or two for a thin, crispy, delicious crunch!
- Sour Cream – For drizzling, dipping or dolloping, whichever you prefer.
- Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch Dip – Optional, but it really makes these Mexican beef tacos taste like a party!
Of course you can add fresh cilantro, pico de gallo or lettuce, if you wish, but they’re delicious as is!
How To Make Tacos With Ground Beef
- Preheat the oven to 385 degrees. Bake corn taco shells for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly warm.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add ground beef, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add taco seasoning and cook until brown.
- Optionally, combine sour cream and ranch mix.
- Fill taco shells with ground beef and shredded cheese. Top with Fiesta sour cream. Enjoy!
How Much Taco Seasoning Do I Need For One Pound of Meat?
The beauty of purchasing a pre-made taco seasoning is that it is already portioned for you. One packet of taco seasoning contains 1 ounce of seasoning – the right amount to season your taco meat to perfection.
If you prefer not to use the taco seasoning, replace it with 1 Tablespoon each of sweet paprika and onion flake for a simple homemade flavor.
How Many Calories In Ground Beef Tacos?
Since we are making these weeknight tacos with lean ground beef, one taco is only 263 calories, toppings and all! So go ahead – have two, ehem, three!
What To Serve With An Easy Taco Recipe?
The best side dish for easy beef tacos are ones that complement the flavor. I like to serve these with refried beans, cheesy rice, Mexican corn on the cob or a simple green salad.
Make it as part of a Cinco de Mayo spread, too. Click here to get other Cinco de Mayo menu ideas. If you’re looking for Mexican-inspired dinner and party ideas, I know you’ll love these incredible walking tacos!
More Beef Recipes You’ll Love:
- Walking Tacos | How To Make Tacos In A Bag
- How To Make Burgers In The Oven
- Juicy Sliders
- Homemade Lasagna
- Braised Beef Ragu with Pappardelle
- Bolognese Sauce Recipe
If you try this Ground Beef Taco Recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too! For more easy recipes and simple living ideas, subscribe to my newsletter!
Ground Beef Taco Recipe
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 1 lb ground beef lean 93/7
- 1/2 pkg taco seasoning
- 12 corn taco shells white or yellow
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/4 pkg Hidden Valley Fiesta Ranch Dip optional
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
- Bake taco shells 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook ground beef in a skillet over medium heat, breaking it up with a masher or base of a wooden spoon and stir in taco seasoning until just brown.
- Optional: combine sour cream and ranch mix.
- Fill tacos with ground beef, shredded cheese and fiesta sour cream.