An easy cajun spiced chicken made with a flavorful blend of cajun chicken seasoning. The perfect mix of spices and heat for a favorite evening meal anytime of the year.
Sometimes you just need a little spice. My entire family loves cajun spiced chicken. It is the perfect amount of heat – even for the younger ones.
This cajun chicken recipe is a favorite for the whole family. We make it year round as it is a chicken dish we all love! I even have my own cajun seasoning recipe to use as a rub or in a marinade. Any time I’m craving somethings spicy, I turn to this cajun chicken.
I love bringing you fun chicken recipes because it’s something we eat so much of in our home! Check out my easy lemon chicken, blackened chicken, and chicken piccata milanese. You’ll also love my Baked Chicken Breast recipe!
A few months ago I shared my Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe. Now I’m excited to share just how easy it is to make cajun spiced chicken, too!
Cajun Chicken Seasoning Recipe
You can use store bought cajun seasoning for this easy chicken recipe. There are a lot of great cajun spice blends available at your local supermarket. However, chances are you have everything you need to make your own cajun seasoning at home.
Making your own spice mix is easy. You can whip them up using staples. Sometimes I line up the spices and give the girls a measuring spoon let them mix for me! It’s a fun way to get everyone involved in the kitchen!
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 11/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 11/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pour all the spices into a small bowl and mix together thoroughly. I like to store in a jar in a cool dark cabinet or pantry until needed.
Too much heat? Eliminate red pepper flakes for milder flavor. If you want a little extra heat add more red pepper flakes.
PS if you love red pepper as much as I do, you have to try Pasta Aglio e Olio!
Cajun Chicken Marinade
Great news! This recipe can also be used as a marinade. Marinating your chicken will give it deeper, more intense flavor.
- To make a cajun chicken marinade, use a large ziplock bag.
- Combine cajun seasoning recipe (above) with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
- Pour over chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Cook as usual.
This Cajun Seasoning Mix / Cajun Chicken Marinade can be also be used in jambalaya or gumbo.
Cajun Spiced Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Tenders – You can use chicken tenders or slice chicken breasts into thin strips.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Olive oil coats the chicken and seals the moisture in. It also helps spices to adhere. If you prefer, you can also use melted butter.
- Cajun Chicken Seasoning – Mix up your own using the recipe above or your favorite cajun spice!
Instructions For Cooking Chicken
- Pour olive oil into a shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken tenders through the olive oil and coat both sides.
- Pour cajun chicken seasoning on a plate. Dip each tender to coat.
- Place in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Cook for four minutes on the first side. Flip and cook for 3 minutes on the second side or until completely cooked.
Tips to Use a Cast Iron Skillet
Heat Cast Iron Skillet before adding chicken to make it non stick. After the skillet is hot, reduce to desired temperature and add your ingredients.
I love using the cast iron skillet to give this chicken a smokey authentic flavor. However, this cajun chicken recipe can also be baked in the oven or even grilled outdoors!
If you prefer to use my Baked Chicken Breast method, simply complete steps one and two. Then place in a baking dish in a preheated oven. Remove and allow to cool.
Serving Cajun Spiced Chicken
This Cajun Spice Chicken can stand on its own! It can be the perfect smokey spicy protein at the center of your meal. I love it with shrimp, dirty rice, and cold watermelon and grilled corn. It is also delicious served with grill charred peppers and onions.
It’s also amazing my creamy cajun chicken pasta recipe! The creamy cajun sauce with chicken and pasta is a rich spicy blending of cream, zest, heat, and texture. Seriously, we can’t get enough!
Tips to Store and Reheat Chicken
Refrigerate – If you have leftovers, not to worry. This chicken stores easily in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You can serve chicken cold in a salad.
- To reheat leftovers warm a skillet. Add a teaspoon of olive oil, if needed.
- You can also bake in a preheated oven.
Cajun Chicken is gluten free, paleo, whole30, keto, and more!
More Easy Dinner Ideas
- Piccata Milanese
- Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Sweet Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites
- Stuffed Chicken Breast with Prosciutto
- Lasagna with Cottage Cheese
- 1 pound chicken tenders
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- Pour olive oil into a shallow dish or plate. Create a thin layer of cajun seasoning on another plate.
- Coat the chicken tenders with olive oil followed by cajun seasoning.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add tenders. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip ¼ and cook for 3 minutes or until completely cooked.
How to Make Cajun Seasoning
How to Store
- Room Temperature – Chicken can only sit out for two hours at room temperature safely – after that, it must be refrigerated.
- Refrigerate – If you have leftovers, not to worry. This chicken stores easily in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Freezer – Cajun chicken freezes beautifully! It’s great to pull out of the freezer and use in other dinners. Store in an airtight container for up to three months.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.