An easy cajun spiced chicken made with a flavorful blend of cajun chicken seasoning. The perfect mix of spices and heat for a favorite evening meal anytime of the year.
Sometimes you just need a little spice. My entire family loves cajun spiced chicken. It is the perfect amount of heat – even for the younger ones.
This cajun chicken recipe is a favorite for the whole family. We make it year round as it is a chicken dish we all love! I even have my own cajun seasoning recipe to use as a rub or in a marinade. Any time I’m craving somethings spicy, I turn to this cajun chicken.
A few months ago I shared my Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe. Now I’m excited to share just how easy it is to make cajun spiced chicken, too!
Cajun Chicken Seasoning Recipe
You can use store bought cajun seasoning for this easy chicken recipe. There are a lot of great cajun spice blends available at your local supermarket. However, chances are you have everything you need to make your own cajun seasoning at home.
Making your own spice mix is easy. You can whip them up using staples. Sometimes I line up the spices and give the girls a measuring spoon let them mix for me! It’s a fun way to get everyone involved in the kitchen!
Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe
2 t salt
2 t garlic powder
2 ½ t paprika
1 t black pepper
1 t onion powder
1 cayenne pepper
11/4 t dried oregano
11/4 t dried thyme
½ t red pepper flakes
- Pour all the spices into a small bowl and mix together thoroughly. I like to store in a jar in a cool dark cabinet or pantry until needed.
Too much heat? Eliminate red pepper flakes for milder flavor. If you want a little extra heat add more red pepper flakes.
PS if you love red pepper as much as I do, you have to try Pasta Aglio e Olio!
Cajun Chicken Marinade
Great news! This recipe can also be used as a marinade. Marinating your chicken will give it deeper, more intense flavor.
- To make a cajun chicken marinade, use a large ziplock bag.
- Combine cajun seasoning recipe (above) with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
- Pour over chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Cook as usual.
This Cajun Seasoning Mix / Cajun Chicken Marinade can be also be used in jambalaya or gumbo.
Cajun Spiced Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Tenders – You can use chicken tenders or slice chicken breasts into thin strips.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Olive oil coats the chicken and seals the moisture in. It also helps spices to adhere. If you prefer, you can also use melted butter.
- Cajun Chicken Seasoning – Mix up your own using the recipe above or your favorite cajun spice!
Instructions For Cooking Chicken
Pour olive oil into a shallow bowl. Dredge the chicken tenders through the olive oil and coat both sides.
Pour cajun chicken seasoning on a plate. Dip each tender to coat.
Place in a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
Cook for four minutes on the first side. Flip and cook for 3 minutes on the second side or until completely cooked.
Tips for using cast iron skillet:
Heat Cast Iron Skillet before adding chicken to make it non stick. After the skillet is hot, reduce to desired temperature and add your ingredients.
I love using the cast iron skillet to give this chicken a smokey authentic flavor. However, this cajun chicken recipe can also be baked in the oven or even grilled outdoors!
If you prefer to use my Baked Chicken Breast method, simply complete steps one and two. Then place in a baking dish in a preheated oven. Remove and allow to cool.
Serving Cajun Spiced Chicken
This Cajun Spice Chicken can stand on its own! It can be the perfect smokey spicy protein at the center of your meal. I love it with shrimp, dirty rice, and cold watermelon and grilled corn. It is also delicious served with grill charred peppers and onions.
It’s also amazing my creamy cajun chicken pasta recipe! The creamy cajun sauce with chicken and pasta is a rich spicy blending of cream, zest, heat, and texture. Seriously, we can’t get enough!
Tips to Store and Reheat Chicken
If you have leftovers, not to worry. This chicken stores easily in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You can serve chicken cold in a salad.
- To reheat leftovers warm a skillet. Add a teaspoon of olive oil, if needed.
- You can also bake in a preheated oven.
Cajun Chicken is gluten free, paleo, whole30, keto,
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Chicken is a staple protein in our kitchen. It’s juicy, flavorful, and healthy. Here are some more of my favorite easy chicken recipes:
Piccata Milanese is an Italian classic and family favorite. It comes together in less than 25 minutes!
Sweet Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites are perfect for game day entertaining.
Stuffed Chicken Breast with Prosciutto is made with creamy fontina and salty prosciutto and paired with a white wine sauce. It is to die for, and simple enough to make even on a weekday!
- Beer Can Chicken In The Oven is perfect for fall or game day entertaining!
- Rosemary Chicken is an easy one-pan meal perfect for any weeknight dinner!
Let’s connect! I love to hear from you! Leave a comment below…
Cajun Spiced Chicken
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- Pour olive oil into a shallow dish or plate. Create a thin layer of cajun seasoning on another plate.
- Coat the chicken tenders with olive oil followed by cajun seasoning.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add tenders. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Fli and cook for 3 minutes or until completely cooked.
How to Make Cajun SeasoningCombine ingredients
- 2 t salt
- 2 t garlic powder
- 2 ½ t paprika
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t onion powder
- 1 cayenne pepper
- 11/4 t dried oregano
- 11/4 t dried thyme
- ½ t red pepper flakes