As another long holiday weekend approaches, you might be contemplating your menu options! If a classic summer barbeque is on your mind, this is an excellent round-up of what to serve with burgers.
Burger sides don’t have to be complicated! I’ve got some incredibly delicious ideas to round out your meal – with both simple ingredients and options to make ahead, saving you time and money.
Choose your flavor! There’s something for everyone here, with over 30 good sides for burgers and beyond.
Is there anything more indicative of an American summer than a casual meal of burgers and hotdogs or brats? You might argue that it’s actually not summer at all until you’ve gathered with friends and family to enjoy this simple meal.
We are big fans of burgers around here! In fact, you can find a wide variety of burger guides and recipes, from How to Cook Burgers on the Stove, to The Best Juicy Burger, How to Make Burgers in the Oven, and Bacon Burgers on the Grill.
Find everything you want to know in The Ultimate All American Burger Guide.
But what about the burger sides? Do you know what to serve with burgers? I’ve got it covered with this delicious round-up of ideas you’re going to crave.
Read on for inspiration that covers the best classic burger sides and more than a few options you might not have considered!
What to Serve with Burgers
What goes with burgers? Well, the easy answer is all the things. However, we all know some of the classics that are expected at these summertime soirées when you’re grilling burgers.
When I think of the best Burger side dishes, I think of the following:
- Cold, refreshing salads: think pasta salads, coleslaw and green salads!
- Handhelds… like the best deviled eggs ever.
- Corn! What could be better than fresh corn on the cob served with your burgers and brats?
- Potatoes – be it classic French fries, grilled bakers, potato salad or so much more, these can’t be missed!
The ultimate summertime side dish, pasta salad serves a crowd (often inexpensively!) and offers bold flavor your guests will love. I’ve got an incredible array of Pasta Salad Recipes, so don’t skip this Pasta Salad Guide if you’re looking for more!
- Italian Pasta Salad – I’ve integrated my favorite Italian Dressing and favorite Italian Salad into this easy, full of flavor Italian Pasta Salad recipe. We love pasta salad in our house, especially in the summer!
- The Best Spaghetti Salad – Spaghetti salad is an incredibly flexible, fast pasta salad recipe that is such a crowd pleaser! Tossed in a savory homemade Italian dressing, its a fresh take on a tomato and cucumber salad.
- Incredible Veggie Pasta Salad – This veggie pasta salad recipe is bursting with fresh, vibrant flavors and overflowing with nutrients thanks to an array of fresh sautéed veggies. It’s a vegetarian pasta salad side dish or an incredible lunch you can feel good about!
- Light and Easy Pasta Salad Recipe | Bow Tie Pasta Salad – This is my most popular and refreshing pasta salad recipe, perfect for summer picnics and outings. This bow tie pasta salad is tossed with an amazing, light and zesty dressing. It’s always a hit at barbeques, picnics and summertime potlucks!
- Basil Lemon Pasta Salad – Lemon basil recipes are perfect for spring and summer get togethers or for a light and refreshing lunch or dinner. This lemon pasta salad is no exception! It’s perfect for picnics and parties.
No matter which way you make them, potatoes and burgers go hand in hand. Of course, there are the classic french fries, but potato salad is perfect for summer gatherings as you can make it ahead and it’s so easy to transport.
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes – These quick and easy grilled sweet potatoes in foil make an excellent side dish for all your favorite barbeque entrees! They are healthy, savory and so easy to customize to every individual’s tastes.
- Potato Salad with Egg – There is that one little secret that makes this classic potato salad with egg so amazing…and lucky for you, I don’t believe in keeping secrets.
- Grilled Baked Potatoes – These grilled baked potatoes are such an incredible side dish for all your summer grilling adventures! Baked potatoes on the grill are so much better than your oven – they have a perfectly moist, soft and fluffy interior but are incredibly crispy and salty on the outside.
- Truffle Fries – Easy Oven Baked Gourmet Fries – Baking your Truffle Fries prevents your home from smelling like grease and makes them so much healthier. Get the recipe for this crispy, classic burger side!
- Easy Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar – Boiled, baked and sprinkled with brown sugar and fresh cracked salt, these smashed potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside.
- Healthy Sweet Potato Fries – Skip the deep fryer with these Healthy Sweet Potato Fries, ready in less than 30 minutes. If you love sweet potatoes, these Gourmet Fries will blow you away!
- Loaded Smashed Red Potatoes – Smashed Red Potatoes make the perfect burger side dish or party appetizer to serve a crowd. These pretty little potatoes are so good, and perfect for entertaining, any time of year!
Summer-Inspired Hamburger Sides
Light and crispy onion rings, and side dishes that speak to the fresh produce available all summer long, don’t miss these classic summer side dishes to serve with burgers and more.
- Classic Cabbage Salad – This delicious, refreshing Cabbage salad recipe is the perfect choice for potlucks, barbecues and so much more. Learn the secrets to the light and tangy cabbage salad dressing in this fresh and fabulous side dish!
- Grilled Corn on the Cob – This grilled sweet corn is the ultimate burger side dish. It’s made with just two ingredients. Even better? It’s ready to serve in less than 10 minutes. It’s delightfully smoky, juicy and full of flavor!
- Mexican Corn on the Cob – The mix of these salty, citrusy flavors when combined with the tang of cheese and mayo is just BEYOND! It’s an explosion in your mouth- don’t miss this crazy good burger side dish.
- Corn Casserole (Cheesy Corn) – Creamy corn casserole made with cream cheese – this cheesy corn doubles as a dip! It’s a classic side dish that is perfect for parties as a dip or a family-friendly side dish.
- Easy Homemade Onion Rings Dipped In Beer Batter – These easy Homemade Onion Rings get dipped in beer batter and fried to golden brown perfection. With a few tips and tricks along the way (hint – it’s light as air!), learn how to make incredibly crispy onion rings in minutes. This popular snack food never tasted so good – perfect as a side dish or to top burgers, salads, and much more!
- The Best Crispy Brussel Sprouts Recipe – This Crispy Brussel Sprouts Recipe is bursting with flavor! Brussel Sprouts with pancetta and shallots are sautéed into a fragrant, textural side dish that will leave your family begging for more. Bonus? It’s low carb, too!
Handheld Burger Sides
When you’re hosting a barbeque or picnic, handheld burger sides might be the best options of all! Make these ahead and save the silverware for another time.
- The Best Deviled Eggs Recipe – Get my secret that makes these the very best! These deviled eggs with relish serve beautifully with summertime barbeque entrees and they’re a great appetizer, too!
- Fresh Fruit Skewers – These are kid-friendly, healthy, and so much fun to make and eat!
- Mac and Cheese Cups – It’s everyone’s favorite comfort food in the perfect bite-sized portion! Easy to make and even easier to eat, I dare you to try and stop at just one mac and cheese cup!
- Guacamole Bites – Sometimes you just need something that serves up cute with very little effort! That’s where these delicious little guacamole bites come in. They are fun, flavorful, and perfect as a casual summertime dish dish or appetizer.
This is one of the most classic hamburger side dishes of all time, and you can’t skip it! Sweet and savory baked beans serve beautifully with burgers, hot dogs and brats, and they are inexpensive and easy to make ahead.
Check out this incredible BBQ Baked Beans with Bacon for the ultimate crowd-pleasing recipe!
Wondering how to get your burger temperature just right? Don’t skip this free printable Meat Temperature Chart! I’ve also got tips about how to set up a Burger Bar, and even our favorite Gourmet Burger recipe (see this drool-worthy burger below).
Healthy Burger Sides: Green Salads and Lower Carb Options
If you have guests who prefer to skip the bun on their burger, these healthy burger sides are a great option. From salads to low carb eggs, you’ll find something for every dietary consideration.
- Red White and Blue Salad – Ready in minutes and perfect for picnics, you’ll love this pretty garden-fresh salad that can be displayed as an American flag or more traditionally mixed.
- Strawberry Salad with Vinaigrette Poppy Seed Dressing – The fresh strawberries in this salad add a little summer sweetness to pair perfectly with the tangy flavors in the rest of the salad.
- Avocado Deviled Eggs – These Avocado Deviled Eggs are going to be the hit of your summertime barbeques! With the healthier addition of avocado instead of traditional mayo or Miracle Whip, why not spice up your life a little?
- Simple Sautéed Peppers | The Easiest Colorful Veggie Side Dish – Sautéed peppers are a quick and easy way to add veggies with color, flavor and texture to an array of dishes. So simple to make, sautéed bell peppers are perfect for a low carb and healthy burger side dish, and they make a great burger topping as well.
- Herb Vinaigrette Recipe – this is so easy to make and serve over a tomato salad, avocado salad, or any of your favorite mixed greens.
- Roasted Cauliflower (Easy Baked Cauliflower) – Roasted vegetables are the ultimate way to celebrate the goodness of summer in a healthy, low carb way. Plus, they’re so easy! Just prep and place in the oven as you’re warming up the grill for burgers.
What do you think? Are you planning any barbeques to celebrate summer? I’d love to hear from you!