If you’re a lemon lover, not much is more delicious than the refreshing scent and flavor of an easy Lemon Loaf. This simple Lemon Bread is decadent and divine, full of lemon flavor! This easy Lemon Bread Recipe takes just 5 minutes hands on time and makes a beautiful breakfast or gift!
If you’ve been reading this blog for long, it won’t come as a surprise to you that I love all things lemon-flavored. Lemon adds a true zest to any dish, and it works as a beautiful addition to almost anything you can imagine tossing it in. I’ve used it in pasta, drinks, cookies and baked goods of all kinds.
This incredible lemon bread recipe is long overdue. It’s another quick and easy sweet bread recipe the whole family can enjoy for breakfast and snacks!
The Difference Between Lemon Loaf and Lemon Pound Cake
This delicious lemon loaf recipe is similar in shape and appearance to my lemon pound cake, but there are some distinct differences. This easy quick bread is light and fluffy in texture. Although this lemon bread recipe is quite moist, it’s not nearly as rich and heavy as a pound cake.
As a general rule, pound cakes are much more dense than quick breads. The biggest difference? Butter… a lot of butter! My pound cake recipes tend to use butter vs oil and in my pound cake recipes I prefer the smoother texture of powdered sugar instead of granulated. There’s a time and a place for both versions of a classic lemon loaf, but I always feel that quick breads are a little lighter, making them a slightly-less decadent treat.
A Lemon Loaf makes a great gift, is the perfect addition to brunch displays. and makes a great breakfast, snack or dessert! The beautiful glaze is a delightfully sweet way to top it off, but you certainly don’t have to. Either way this sweet bread is so good!
When life gives you lemons, make this lemon bread recipe.
JUST TAKE ME TO THE LEMON LOAF RECIPE, PLEASE!
I get a lot of questions and comments on my recipes and posts, so I try to provide as much information as possible for my readers including tips and tricks, shortcuts, how to store and so much more!
If you would like to skip directly to the recipe, please scroll to the bottom of the page where you’ll find a printable version.
What’s in a Lemon Loaf?
Lemon Loaf or Lemon Bread is made with staple ingredients – sugar, flour, oil, eggs and milk, with the addition of lemon extra or lemon juice and lemon zest. The glaze or lemon drizzle is simple as well, made with powdered sugar, butter and lemon juice!
How To Make The Best Lemon Bread Recipe
You can see just how easy it is by watching the video in this post!
- Grease 6 mini loaf pans or 2 1 pound loaf pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat eggs, milk, and oil together with lemon zest and lemon extract.
- Gradually add flour mixture into wet ingredients, just until moist.
- Pour batter into pan and bake (I leave an inch below the top to compensate for rise).
- Optional: sprinkle sugar on top (recommended if you’re not topping with a lemon drizzle).
- Bake 40 minutes in miniature loaf pans or 50-60 for 1 lb loaf pans. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.
Tips For Delicious Lemon Quick Bread
This lemon loaf recipe is quick, easy foolproof and versatile. However, there are a couple tips to get the perfect lemon bread, every time!
- Don’t over-mix.
- I like to buy the cute ceramic mini loaf pans available at Michael’s Craft Stores. These paper loaf pans are also great for gifting.
- Don’t over-bake.
- Lining your loaf pan with parchment paper or using this incredible baking spray can help to release it from the pan easier.
- If you’re using full size loaf pans, two will work perfectly for this recipe. Increase bake time to more like 50-60 minutes and use toothpick to check doneness.
- Try to let your quick bread loaves cool on a wire rack on the counter, it increases air circulation during the cooling time.
- The BEST addition to the top of this bread is my simple lemon glaze! It drizzles on beautifully covering the lemon bread. It’s soft and flavorful but hardens just enough to slice and store!
How To Store a Lemon Loaf
First, make sure that you cool your lemon loaves completely. You can simply cover them and store on your countertop at room temperature safely for up to three days. (Good luck getting this lemon bread recipe to last long enough to worry about that expiration date though!)
Often, I like to place the loaves in large sealable plastic bags (with a paper towel at the bottom to help soak up any excess moisture) if we need to store them for long. You can absolutely freeze this lemon loaf as well! Simply wrap in heavy aluminum foil or sealable plastic freezer bags and freeze for up to three months.
Dreams Do Come True For A Lemon Lover
If you’re anything like me, your mouth might be watering after reading all about this fresh and fragrant lemon loaf! You’re in luck, because I’m full of good ideas for using your lemons in a seriously delicious way. In my eyes, since lemons are a fruit…they are a healthy choice no matter what. You’re welcome.
- Lemon Chicken
- Lemon Glaze
- Lemon Basil Pasta Salad
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- White Wine Lemon Caper Sauce
And SO MUCH MORE. All my lemon-inspired recipes can be found right here in the recipe index!
More Easy Quick Bread Recipes
- Cinnamon Bread
- Almond Bread
- Brown Sugar No Yeast Bread
- Sweet Bread
- Cranberry Bread
- Orange Bread
- Carrot Bread
What’s your favorite way to use lemons? If you enjoyed this lemon loaf, I’d love for you to share on Pinterest or Facebook, and come back to leave this recipe 5 stars!
Lemon Loaf (Lemon Bread)
If you're a lemon lover, not much is more delicious than the refreshing scent and flavor of an easy Lemon Loaf. This simple Lemon Bread is decadent and divine, full of lemon flavor! This easy Lemon Bread Recipe takes just 5 minutes hands on time and makes a beautiful breakfast or gift!
- 2 c sugar
- 4 c flour
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 c milk
- 2/3 c vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp lemon extract
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest about the zest of 1 lemon
Lemon Drizzle or Glaze
- 6 Tbsp butter melted
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1/4 c lemon juice
Grease 6 mini loaf pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.
Beat eggs, milk, oil, lemon extract and zest.
Gradually add dry mixture to wet until just moist.
Pour batter into pans an inch below to compensate for rise. Optional: sprinkle sugar on top.
Bake 40 minutes. Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from loaf pan.
Meanwhile, combining lemon drizzle ingredients until smooth. Warm and pour to cover lemon loaf.
Don't have lemon extract? You can substitute with additional lemon zest. 1 teaspoon of extract is equal to 2 teaspoons of lemon zest.