These Sugar Cookie Bars with Buttercream Frosting melt in your mouth. Each bite of these amazing Cookie Bars are like the thick, chewy center of a sugar cookie – but better!
Originally published January 2017, updated with video and tips
I can’t be trusted with a working oven, a little sugar and butter. Especially if there’s anything to celebrate. You all loved my sugar cookie cake so much, I decided to make it in bar form. That’s right, melt-in-your-mouth frosted sugar cookie bars with thick buttercream icing. They’re so indulgent and oh so good.
When you have a really great cookie dough recipe like these melt in your mouth sugar cookies, it’s hard not to imagine it in other forms beyond a cookie. This dough makes incredible cookie cobblers, cookie cakes, and cookie bars, because why not? Each has it’s own incredible texture and consistency.
When you put my melt in your mouth sugar cookie dough into a 9×9 or 9×13 pan (depending on how ridiculously thick you want them), they are so moist, chewy and delectable. Just one bite and you’ll see why Chris can’t stop at one. I’ve been known to munch on them for breakfast. That’s acceptable, right?
Cookie Bars are quicker and easier to make than cookies because you don’t have to scoop the dough out and bake one cookie sheet after another. Just spread the dough in your baking dish and bake all at once, and frost all at once. It’s a huge time saver.
The other reason I love making Sugar Cookie Bars is because each bite tastes like the thick, chewy center of a sugar cookie. There are no crisp edges, only melt-in-your-mouth centers! They’re so soft, sweet and flavorful. I love the texture just as much. The creamy buttercream is perfection!
What Kind of Dish to Make Cookie Bars In
You can bake Cookie Bars in your favorite dish or multiple dishes. Just about any size and shape will do. Here are just a few suggestions:
- 9×13 pan
- casserole dish
- pie dish
- tart pan
- sheet pan
The thicker your cookie bar, the longer you’ll need to bake. Likewise, should you choose to make them thinner, you may want to reduce baking time. Whatever you do, don’t over bake. That’s what makes them so amazing.
Just cut them into squares once they’ve cooled for the perfect handheld treat. If you can’t wait, you can cut them in just 15 minutes to enjoy.
Well, that and the fact that I use oil and butter. Don’t judge! That’s what gives them the melt-in-your-mouth quality that makes them so addicting.
These Cookie Bars are great for birthdays, Valentine’s Day, picnics, barbecues, Christmas, parties and so much more! Basically, anything you need a quick, easy and incredible dessert for! They even make a delicious birthday “cake”!
Sugar Cookie Bars are always a crowd pleasing dessert for adults and kids alike. No need to make multiple options! If you love these, you’ll also love this easy and adorable Donut Cake!
Sugar Cookie Bar Ingredients
These bars use staple ingredients. The combination of both butter and vegetable oil make them melt-in-your-mouth-delicious!
- Vegetable Oil
- Powdered Sugar
- Cream of Tartar
- Baking Soda
Buttercream Icing Ingredients
- Powdered Sugar
- Milk or Heavy Cream
How to Make Sugar Cookie Bars
They’re so quick and easy! Continue for the full printable recipe card below.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl or mixing bowl, combine butter, oil, sugars and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs.
- Add flour, salt, cream of tarter and baking soda. Blend until incorporated.
- Grease baking dish with cookie spray. Press dough into dish. Using a piece of parchment or paper, smooth the top.
- Meanwhile blend butter (at room temperature), slowly add powdered sugar and milk until light and fluffy. You can add food coloring into frosting if you’d like.
- Smooth icing onto cooled cookie bars.
- Top with candies, sprinkles and more.
You can decorate these Cookie Bars in so many different ways – the options are endless! Use your favorite candies, sprinkles, and more to customize these bars for any occasion. You can also set up a bar for kids to decorate their own!
- Beat butter, oil and sugar until light and fluffy. It contributes to the incredible texture of these bars.
- Use both butter and oil – it gives them the best texture.
- Don’t over bake. You want them to be ever so slightly golden brown. They will continue to bake as they cool.
- Bring butter to room temperature for a smooth, luscious frosting.
- If you have heavy cream, use it in lieu of milk to make the creamiest frosting.
Enjoy them at room temperature or refrigerated. I personally prefer at room temperature. Refrigerating however makes the icing easier to cut through. You can enjoy this for up to 5 days when stored at room temperature covered and up to 7 days refrigerated. You can even freeze them up to the 6 months when sealed tight, though they are best enjoyed fresh.
You can pin this recipe below to save it for later!
More Amazing Cookie Bar Recipes
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Cookie Butter Bars
- Chocolate Chip Salted Caramel Cookie Bars
- Easy Salted Caramel Pecan Pie Bars
You’ll also love these adorable Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies for Valentine’s Day!
To see just how easy these Cookie Bars are, watch the video in the recipe card below (and don’t forget to click subscribe on YouTube!)
Melt in Your Mouth Sugar Cookie Bars with Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter softened
- 5 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, oil, sugars and vanilla until smooth. Blend in eggs.
- Add flour, salt, cream of tarter and baking soda until blended in.
- Press dough into a greased pan, and use parchment paper to smooth the top if desired.
- Bake 20 minutes or until firm watching carefully as to not over bake.
- Combine 1 cup softened butter, 5 cup powdered sugar and ¼ cup milk until smooth.
- Allow bars cool, ice, slice and serve.