These red velvet sandwich cookies are a beautiful and festive way to celebrate Valentine’s Day. These heart shaped cookies require just a few staple ingredients, minimal effort and are unbelievably good! They are great to make with kids and make the perfect romantic gift.
Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies are a fun twist on Homemade Oreos!
These cookies have amazing red velvet flavor paired with the delightfully sweet cream cheese frosting sandwiched into one amazing bite!
Red velvet has always been one of my favorites thanks to the luxurious texture which you’ll find in the cookies! Just like Oreos, they back a little crunch, yet are incredibly moist. It’s the perfect mix!
When it comes to Valentine’s Day, nothing can quite beat a homemade food gift, and even better if they taste this amazing! These cute sandwich cookies are so easy to make and they are sure to impress your love!
This sweet treat is deceivingly easy to make thanks to a couple simple tricks!
To Make Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies, You Will Need:
- Butter – Unsalted butter is preferred. If you use salted, you may want to omit the added salt in this recipe.
- Powdered Sugar – This super fine sugar is also known as confectioners sugar and it blends smoothly into the cookie dough.
- Flour – All purpose flour is perfect for this recipe, and it is best to sift it before use. Use your favorite brand.
- Cocoa Powder –I use an unsweetened cocoa powder and it adds a delicious chocolate flavor to the baked cookies.
- Baking Soda – Allows the perfect rise during baking.
- Salt – A pinch of salt brings out the chocolate flavor in the cookies, omit this if you are using a salted butter.
- Red Food Coloring – To create the perfect Valentine’s day cookies!
- Vanilla – It’s best to use pure vanilla extract rather than imitation, and it’s also really easy to make your own.
- Cream Cheese -This makes the filling wonderfully creamy, although it is optional.
How to Make Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Combine – In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Gradually add into butter mixture. Add food coloring and beat until well combined.
- Knead and Refrigerate – Use a dough hook attachment or your hands to knead a few times, then wrap the dough in saran wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Combine Filling – Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Prep – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll and Cut – Roll dough and cut with cookie cutters, peeling away excess dough.
- Bake 8 minutes and allow to cool.
- Fill – Spread filling onto cookies and press to create sandwiches.
Easy Valentine’s Day Heart Shaped Cookies
These cookies are so fun to make, and they are a great way to get the kids in the kitchen, I promise you they’ll enjoy the results! To make them festive, we used food coloring to make the dough red and cut the cookies with a heart shaped cutter. You can of course make these anytime of the year and omit the food coloring and make them round if you prefer.
The frosting in these cookies is so perfectly sweet and perfectly pairs with the red velvet cookie dough. You can make the frosting a day or two ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge before using. If you do this, let it com to room temperature before putting on the baked cookies.
I can not begin to tell you how delicious these cookies are, if you like red velvet cake, you are going to love these! The kids can enjoy them alongside a glass of milk, and for the adults, they pair well with a glass of red wine!
Top Tips To Make Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
- Allow the cookie dough to rest in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours before rolling it out and cutting into shapes.
- The cookie dough only needs 8 minutes to bake, so be sure to keep your eye on them. They are ready when they edges are firm.
- Bring cookies to room temperature before filling.
Looking for more Valentine’s inspiration? Check out this complete guide to my favorite Valentine’s Day Recipes.
More Amazing Cookie Recipes
- Edible Cookie Dough with Chocolate Chips
- Oatmeal Lace Cookies
- Easy Funfetti Cookies
- Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Cream Cheese Cookies
- Lemon Shortbread Cookies
If you try these red velvet sandwich cookies, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!
- Beat butter, sugar & vanilla until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda & salt. Gradually add into butter mixture. Add food coloring & beat until well combined.
- Use a dough hook attachment or your hands to knead a few times, then wrap the dough in saran wrap & refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients & mix until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough & cut with cookie cutters, peeling away excess dough.
- Bake 8 minutes & allow to cool.
- Spread filling onto cookies & press to create sandwiches.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.