Learn the best tips and tricks for How to Make Burgers in the Oven! These flavorful, juicy burgers are the easiest dinner and so much fun for entertaining.
We all love the classics, don’t we? There’s a lot of reasons that a good old-fashioned burger is so appealing- they are juicy and delicious, easy to customize and easy to throw on the grill. But what if it’s too hot (or too cold) to grill? Often, we’ll make burgers in the oven when we’re not up for grilling. In fact- I think they might be even better (certainly juicier) than a traditional grilled burger. Learning how to make burgers in the oven is so easy, and I’m going to show you how!
Learn how to ditch your grill and create the juiciest burgers right in your oven!
Ingredients for Burgers in the Oven
I like to give a lot of detail in my recipe posts to cover all the questions I receive from readers. If you’d like to skip directly to the recipe, feel free to do so now!
Angus Beef – Fat = Juice. I tend to use 93/7 lean ground beef to keep things just a touch healthier where we can, but for the juiciest burgers, I recommend 80-85%.
Salt and Pepper – These simple seasonings add a lot of flavor. I use thick flakes fresh cracked peppered and sea salt. Don’t skimp on the salt and pepper- when you’re serving small portions, every bite counts!
Dijon Mustard – A hint of mustard gives these a spark of sharp, tangy flavor that can’t be beat! Even if you think you don’t like mustard- don’t leave it out. I promise you won’t regret it!
Worcestershire Sauce – A little hint packs a lot of deep flavor in sliders! The fermented flavor in this sauce is the ultimate tangy flavor enhancer.
Egg – This simple ingredient holds it all together! Because these burgers are so juicy, we need an egg to keep them from falling apart.
Buns – Miniature buns make a mini slider which makes the perfect size! Optional: add melted butter on top and sprinkle on sesame seeds. If you’re making a full size burger, you’ll need a more traditional bun- but toasting it and adding the sesame seeds really takes it up a notch!
How to Make Burgers in the Oven
It’s so easy! Your family is going to ask for these all the time, and it’s so much fun to serve them for parties, too.
- Set your oven to broil (with the oven rack in the upper-middle position), and line a sheet pan with foil for easy clean-up.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, salt, pepper, mustard and egg.
- Form patties and place on lined baking sheet.
- Place in oven under a high broiler for 5 minutes.
- Cover with foil to keep them warm in a 250 degree oven for up to 30 minutes.
Quick tip: This recipe is for a slider-sized burger. Ingredients and directions for full-sized burgers are mostly the same, but you’ll make a larger patty and simply bake under the broiler for four minutes, flip them and place back in the oven under broiler for 3-4 more minutes. Replace suggested cocktail buns with full-size buns and you’re good to go!
Easy Burger Toppings
While traditional burgers are often served with American cheese, onions and pickles, the options are endless! Below are a few of our favorite mini slider toppings! You can even set up a Build Your Own Burger Bar!
- Pesto Aioli
- Truffle Aioli
- Creamy Jalapeño Dip
- Bacon Jam
- Spinach Dip with Cream Cheese
- Boursin Cheese
- Caramelized Onions
Tips for Making the Juiciest Burgers in the Oven
- The less you handle the beef, the better. Stirring and mushing it causes the proteins to break down which makes your little burgers less tender.
- Don’t add salt to your beef mixture until you make them into patties. Salt dissolves water and protein out of beef which makes them cling to each other, eliminating that tender texture. You can get the flavor while maintaining tenderness by adding the sea salt to formed patties just before baking.
- Lightly scoop burger mixture with a large cookie scoop to keep the size consistent.
- Adding cheese? Put it on at the last minute. The heat from the burgers will melt it almost instantly.
- You can make them in advance! To keep these burgers in the oven warm, just cover them with foil (on a clean baking sheet) in warm oven (225-250 degrees) for up to 30 minutes.
What to Serve With Burgers in the Oven
- Truffle Fries
- Healthy Sweet Potato Fries
- Homemade Potato Salad
- Cabbage Salad
- Loaded Smashed Red Potatoes
What do you think – does your family love sliders as much as mine? There’s nothing better than enjoying more than one burger without any guilt! If you make these delicious little sliders at home, I’d love to hear from you! Please be sure to leave a comment and rate the recipe!
More Beef Recipes to Love:
How to Cook Burgers in the Oven
Learn how to cook burgers in the oven, a delicious way to serve a crowd. These easy burgers are such a simple entertaining option, and it's so easy to cook burgers in the oven!
- 2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
- 1` tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 eggs
- 15 cocktail egg buns
Set your oven to broil (with the oven rack in the upper-middle position), and line a sheet pan with foil for easy clean-up.
In a large bowl, combine beef, salt, pepper, mustard and egg.
Form patties and place them on a baking sheet.
Place in oven under a high broiler for 5 minutes.
Cover with foil. Keep them warm in a 250 degree oven for up to 30 minutes.
- This recipe is for a slider-sized burger. Ingredients for full-sized burgers are the same, simply bake under the broiler for four minutes, flip them and place back in the oven under broiler for 3-4 more minutes. Replace suggested cocktail buns with full-size buns and you're good to go!
- Don't overwork your meat mixture.
- Line your baking sheet for easy clean-up.
- Keep them warm in the oven, covered in foil for up to 30 minutes at 250 degrees.