Where to Serve Hot Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
These sandwiches make entertaining a crowd easy! Serve them at:
- Super Bowl Party
- Game Day Parties and Tailgates
- Snow Day Get Together
What Ingredients are in Ham and Cheese Sandwiches
The secret is in the sauce – and what lies beneath.
A blend of butter, worcestershire sauce, minced onion, and poppy seeds make the most amazing sauce that bakes into the Ham and Cheese Sliders. The base of the buns are coated in olive oil mayonnaise, which seeps into the buns and adds to the gooeyness of the cheese. Don’t worry, even the pickiest eaters and mayo haters (um, me!) won’t be wiser.
If you really want to, you can make ham and cheese sliders without poppy seed, but I recommend you try it. They’re seriously so good!
Of course you can’t make a ham and cheese sandwich without ham! I like to use tavern ham, but you can use any un-flavored ham or savory ham like black forest as well. In my opinion, the thinner, the better.
For the best results, get swiss cheese from the deli counter. It’s freshly sliced which means it melts even better than packaged swiss.
Finally, cocktail buns! The best slider bun is cocktail sized egg buns found in your grocer’s bakery. Again, fresh is always best and produces the most melt-in-your-mouth ham and cheese sliders! Dinner rolls or Hawaiian rolls will also do in a pinch.
How to Make Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Slice buns open.
- Line a baking dish or baking sheet with the bottom of the buns, slathering each one with mayo.
- Add slices of cheese on top (no need to cut).
- Top with ham.
- Coat the top (inside) of each bun with mayo and place on the top of each ham and cheese sandwich.
- In a pourable bowl, combine butter, worcestershire sauce, minced onion, and poppy seed and melt in microwave.
- Pour over sandwiches reserving about 1/4 cup.
- Place ham and cheese sliders covered in foil in oven. Bake 12 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Pour remaining mixture over tops of the rolls. Serve hot.
Tips for Making the Best Hot Ham and Cheese
- Remember fresh is always best. Use fresh buns from the bakery, if possible.
- Have ham and swiss sliced thin from the deli counter.
- Cover with foil – this will keep the moisture in!
What Goes Well with Ham and Cheese
If you love Ham and Cheese Silders, you’ll also love Truffle Mac and Cheese.
Ham and Cheese Sliders (Hot Ham and Cheese)
The Ultimate Ham and Cheese Sliders - hot ham and cheese sandwich that melts in your mouth. An easy dinner, or to feed a crowd for game day!
- 1/2 c butter melted
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp minced onion or chopped
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- 12 cocktail egg buns
- 1/2 lb ham sliced thin
- 1/3 lb swiss cheese sliced thin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice dinner buns in half. Line a 9x11 baking dish with the bottom portion of the buns.
- Spread a little mayo on the buns.
- Add ham & cheese.
- Coat with the sauce. Cover and bake for 12-14 minutes.
Originally published March 2012
Do you want more cheesy quick lunch ideas? You may also love my take on the St. Louis favorite Gerber Sandwich!