Make your own traditional homemade Italian Seasoning blend to add to your favorite recipes, from pasta sauces and roasted vegetables, to pizza on the grill. This Italian herb seasoning blend can be used in any Italian dishes or recipes that could use the extra flavor of fresh herbs when they aren’t available.
This quick homemade Italian seasoning is a blend of dried herbs and adds so much flavor to any recipe.
Trust me when I say it is safe to ditch the store bought packages of seasoning blends. This herb blend is unbelievably easy to make, a huge time saver, and full of zesty flavor!
Why You’ll Love this Italian Seasoning Mix
Instead of pulling out several spices for each meal prep, I often reach for my one trusty homemade blend. When you know you’ve got what you need to create a fast and easy dinner, life becomes just a little bit easier- especially on busy weeknights!
What makes cooking up homemade pasta and sauce so quick and easy is that I have my spices measured and mixed out ahead of time. I can add a shake to my pasta sauce or sprinkle on top of pizza on the grill.
Italian Seasoning Ingredients
Each of these herbs is best in its dried format, where they will have a more concentrated flavor than their fresh counterparts.
- red pepper flakes
- optional: garlic powder
How to Make Homemade Italian Seasoning
- Combine – Measure herbs and spices and mix thoroughly.
- Use or Store – Store in spice or weck jars, label and date.
- If you desire the full flavor of dried herbs and spices, but not the chunky texture, a simple way to remedy that is to blend to desired consistency by using either a spice grinder or food processor.
Like most spices and seasonings, this recipe is best stored in an airtight container in a cool and mostly dark location. Your pantry or even a cabinet away from the stove make great storage locations.
Your homemade Italian Seasoning can stay fresh for several months if stored properly. Don’t forget to label and date your seasoning.
Uses for Italian Seasoning
Adding herb blends to any recipe definitely kicks it up notch and it’s no secret Italian cuisine is a family favorite around here.
This seasoning blend can be used in any recipe that calls for Italian Seasoning, but don’t stop there! Here are a few more ways I’ve used these yummy spices in my kitchen.
- Toss with egg noodles
- Add to pizza sauce
- Add to tomato sauce
- Add to olive oil to dip bread or crostini
- Toss in pasta salads
- Toss it in with your homemade vinaigrettes
- Roast Italian veggies
- Italian nachos are so good and this seasoning will take them over the top!
- Brush on chicken with olive oil to make incredible baked chicken breasts
More Italian Recipe Inspiration
- Amazing Italian Salad St. Louis Style – This salad is always a crowd pleaser and perfect for summer entertaining and potlucks. I’ve never brought home leftovers with this delicious fresh salad!
- 17 of the BEST Pasta Recipes – This is a round-up that you’re going to want to pin and save for later! It’s got so many reader-favorites!
If you try this recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!
Zesty Homemade Italian Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram can substitute ground
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Store in spice jar or airtight container.
- Adjust to your preference.