This homemade lemon pepper seasoning is made with just three ingredients but adds the subtle essence of citrus. It’s an easy way to enhance the flavor of chicken, fish and marinades and it has a long shelf life.
It’s so easy to make a simple weeknight meal transform into something wonderful with lemon oepper seasoning. It’s so easy to make a batch and liven up the most basic of meals.
It requires just three ingredients and is incredibly versatile! You can use it on pasta, mixed into butters, fish, shrimp, chicken, steak, dressings and so much more!
Cracked black peppercorns are toasted with lemon zest infusing the citrus oils into the pepper. It creates a wonderful aroma and of course incredible flavor.
I love making my own seasonings, they are so much more flavorful than store bought and a lot cheaper! You know everything that goes into them and you always have some handy for when you need dinner on the table in a hurry.
- Lemons – You will need the zest of five lemons for this recipe (which is about three tablespoons).
- Black Pepper – Use freshly cracked black pepper from a grinder set to coarse. You don’t want super fine ground pepper for this recipe. Thick black pepper flakes add flavor and texture in every bite.
- Sea Salt – Thick flakes of salt provide a wonderful burst of flavor.
This seasoning is wonderfully bright and zesty. You can make it into more of a herby seasoning by adding in some dried herbs when you mix in the salt. Optional add-ins include:
- Italian Seasoning
How To Make
- Prep – Preheat the oven and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine – Mix together the lemon zest and black pepper. Spread it in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake – Bake until dry.
- Finish – Stir in the salt and use or store.
Optional: Put it in a spice grinder for finer seasoning.
- You can use your leftover lemons to make my Lemon Glaze or Lemon Vinaigrette or to add to your dish.
- Salmon – Make Lemon Pepper Salmon.
- Shrimp – Toss shrimp in olive oil and seasoning. Bake, grill or make on the stovetop! Lemon Pepper Shrimp are so quick and easy!
- Steak – Make steak on the stove or grill coating the pan or grate with oil. Brush steak with melted butter and sprinkle seasoning on both side before cooking.
- Chicken – It creates a wonderful crust on my Lemon Pepper Chicken and really helps to seal in the juices. Just rub the seasoning onto your meat of choice and cook as normal. You can also add some oil to it and use it as a marinade. You can also use it as a seasoning for Chicken Kabobs.
- Wings – Combine olive oil and a tablespoon of seasoning and toss wings in it just before frying.
- Sauce – Lemon Pepper Sauce is an incredible way to make a quick and delicious pasta dish,
- Salad Dressing – Combine with equal parts oil and balsamic for a delicious vinaigrette.
- Butter – Blend into softened butter to make a compound for lobster! It’s so amazing and compliments it.
How to Store
At Room Temperature – Transfer it to an airtight glass jar and keep it in the cupboard to avoid direct sunlight up to 3 months. It keeps up to 6 months, but will slowly start to lose it’s flavor.
Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to lowest setting. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine lemon zest and black pepper.
- Arrange in a thin layer on a small baking sheet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until dry.
- Stir in salt.
- Add Herbs – Basil, Oregano, Italian Seasoning, Thyme, Dill or Cilantro
- Make it Fine – Put it in a spice grinder for finer seasoning.
To StoreAt Room Temperature – Store in an airtight container in a cupboard for up to 3 months.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.