This adorable Hedgehog Cheese Ball is the ultimate Cheese Spread with almonds, green onion and bacon!
A slight twist on the traditional heavyset cheese ball typically decorated like a pine cone for Christmas made this the centerpiece of the Woodland Baby Shower I recently hosted.
It’s a simple and delicious cheese spread recipe with almonds, cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon pieces, dill weed and green onion. When it marinates refrigerated overnight, magic happens!
It’s true, I love cheeseballs in every shape, flavor and style. Who can argue with ALL.THE.CHEESE? In fact, I’ve got your ultimate cheese ball guide right here – it’s a round up of everything you need to know to make a killer cheeseball appetizer!
Don’t miss my ornament cheese ball, mini cheese ball bites, or this adorable Santa hat cheese ball! I’ve also got a simple, elegant way to elevate a classic cheese and crackers spread- your guests will love it!
This Hedgehog Cheese Ball is as delicious as it is adorable! It’s the perfect fit for a baby shower or birthday party. You can also serve it rolled in a ball for a more traditional cheese spread for football games, New Year’s Eve and so much more!
It’s so delicious you’ll be making it time and time again.
With a quick trip to the grocery store you can whip up this easy cheese ball in minutes. It’s perfect for entertaining or an afternoon snack!
JUST TAKE ME TO THE EASY CHEESE SPREAD RECIPE, PLEASE!
I get a lot of questions and comments on my recipes and posts, so I try to provide as much information as possible for my readers including tips and tricks, shortcuts, how to store and so much more!
If you would like to skip directly to the cheese spread recipe, please scroll to the bottom of the page where you’ll find a printable version.
I use bacon pieces (not bits) for an easy shortcut! They’re just as good and no one will notice the difference!
The Ultimate Creamy Cheese Spread
It’s the perfect blend of savory favorites – almonds, cream cheese, bacon and green onion with a hint of dill. It comes together quickly and easily!
To make cream cheese spread, combine softened cream cheese and mayonnaise with bacon pieces, salt, pepper, dill and green onion in a mixer or food processor until completely smooth.
Refrigerate cheese mixture covered 2+ hours until solid enough to roll into a ball, hedgehog or pinecone.
How to Make a Hedgehog Cheese Ball
- On a platter, shape into a hedgehog (more of an oval shape than a traditional cheese “ball) using your hands or parchment.
- Press almonds into the cheese spread in rows covering all but a small area at the front to create the body of the hedgehog.
- Cut an olive in half. Place one half on the front of the hedgehog to create a nose.
- Use a slice of the remaining olive and cut it in half to create eyes.
- I also added a little rosemary to make it appear he’s scurrying through the grass.
What to Serve with Cheese Spread
Pear and apple slices are firm for effortless spreading. Just toss them in lemon juice to prevent browning.
Carrots and celery are the perfect low-carb alternative to serve with a cheese ball.
Crostini – it’s my favorite pairing! Crunchy crostini is the ultimate way to enjoy a cheese spread, especially when drizzled in olive oil.
Salty pretzels are so incredible with this easy cheese spread.
Buttery crackers are always a favorite with this cheese spread recipe.
Curious about freezing your cream cheese recipes? Read more in Can you Freeze Cream Cheese to learn all about what works and what doesn’t!
I just love cheese balls – especially when they’re adorable like this little hedgehog. For more amazing cheese balls and cheese spreads, visit my favorite easy recipes below!
When I’m hosting a large get together, I look to make ahead dishes like this easy spread. That way I can make a little at a time without added stress. A cheese spread is the perfect make ahead appetizer and will keep for 5+ days when stored in an airtight container or covered in saran wrap.
Looking for more amazing bacon recipes? Head over to some of these recipes to satisfy your cravings and don’t skip my round-up of 20 Bacon Appetizers!
If you try this hedgehog cheese ball recipe, I’d love to hear what you think! Please come back and leave a 5 star review in the comments, or share on social and pin on Pinterest!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter for more easy recipes and effortless entertaining ideas! Be sure to follow me on my social media where you’ll find exclusive recipe videos and so much more!
More Must-Make Cheese Ball Recipes and Cheese Spreads
- Ornament Cheeseball
- Bunny Carrot Cake Cheese Ball
- Reindeer Bacon Cheddar Cheeseball
- Pesto Cheese Ball Wreath Appetizer
- Carrot Cheese Ball Easter Appetizer
- Funfetti Snowman Cheeseball
- 3 Ingredient Santa Fe Cheese Ball Recipe
- Chèvre Cheese (Goat Cheese Spread)
- Whipped Goat Cheese Spread
- Combine cream cheese, mayonnaise, bacon pieces and dill weed.
- Fold in green onion, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate covered until solid. Shape into a ball, pine cone or hedgehog.
- Insert almonds into the cheese spread in rows.
- Optional: cut olive in half, use for nose. Slice olive and cut it in half and press in for eyes.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.