Cheese and crackers are a classic snack with so many fun variations! This timeless combination is so easy to customize. It’s fast, easy and nutritious, and makes an effortless appetizer.
You can make this classic snack a beautiful, stand out appetizer with just a few easy tricks! The options are endless. Today I’m sharing some of my favorite ways to serve cheese and crackers!
Cheese and crackers go together like peanut butter and jelly. It’s so simple, in fact, that you may be wondering, what’s so special about this throwback snack and appetizer.
As a former event planner, I have served an array of cheese and charcuterie boards through the years. But it’s always nice to serve ready to eat bites that are simple, yet delicious – especially when entertaining at home!
I love appetizers almost as much as I love the main event. They are some of my favorite things to create, and I can easily make a meal out of Easy Hors D’oeuvres, my favorite 30+ Dip Recipes, and the BEST Thanksgiving Appetizers.
Table of Contents
How to Make Cheese and Crackers Special
You can put the effort into the main course and yet still serve an amazing and much-loved appetizer – without the effort! No fuss, no stress, and totally foolproof…a cute cheese and cracker display doesn’t have to be complicated.
A few simple touches make them incredibly beautiful to serve as an hors d’oeuvre.
The secret to creating the best cheese and cracker combination is simple – it’s all about the CHEESE. When pairing just a few simple ingredients, it’s important that they stand out.
Choose high quality cheeses with ingredients you can feel good about! This is a wholesome snack the whole family can enjoy.
Why You’ll Love these Cheese and Cracker Combos
- Minimal ingredients
- So easy to prepare ahead
- It’s the perfect snack for a family night, game day, or parties!
- If you’d like, you can get creative with your presentation and flavor combinations.
Cheese and Cracker Combinations
- Crackers – Your choice – we love a classic butter cracker or water cracker. You can use wheat or multi-grain crackers as well.
- Cheese – Sliced or cubed, use high quality cheese
- Fruit – A slice of apple, pear, or mango alongside your cheese makes for the ultimate sweet and savory snack. You can also try dried figs or dates.
- Preserves – Another key to taking this simple snack up a notch with a gourmet twist.
- Nuts – Pecans, almonds, walnuts are all great choices. You can use candied nuts, too!
- Fresh Herbs – I used fresh thyme, but rosemary, oregano, and chives would also pair beautifully with cheeses.
How to Make Cheese and Crackers
- Lay your crackers on serving platter.
- Add a slice of cheese.
- Top with an optional dollop of preserves, fruit, nuts, herbs, salt, pepper or drizzle of honey.
- Serve! It’s the simplest cheese and cracker display, bursting with flavor.
Have fun with it! We love creating a cheese themed game night and often turn our cheese and crackers into dinner.
- You can prep your cheese and crackers ahead of time by slicing and cubing your cheese earlier in the day. Layer your cheese, preserves and crackers just before serving.
How to Store
- At Room Temperature – Cheese can be left at room temperature for up to two hours.
- Refrigerate – While cheese itself can be stored in the refrigerator for up to six weeks (when opened) and several months (when unopened), you won’t want to prep your cheese and cracker appetizers for more than 24 hours in advance. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap before storing.
- Freeze – You can freeze cheese when it’s meant to be cooked, but if you’d like to eat the cheese on its own, it’s best not to freeze.
- Gluten Free (if you choose gluten free crackers)
- Nut Free
Hungry for more easy recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club and have amazing recipes delivered directly to your inbox each week!
More Easy Appetizers
- Guacamole Bites
- Spinach Dip Bites
- Mini Cheese Ball Bites
- Fruit Skewers
- Whipped Goat Cheese Spread
- Baked Goat Cheese
Cheese and Crackers
- 16 crackers
- 8 ounces cheese
- 1 fruit fresh, sliced or dried
- 2 tablespoons preserves jam, jelly, chutney
- ⅛ cup nuts
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon herbs fresh
- Arrange crackers on serving platter.
- Add a slice of cheese on top.
- Add a slice of fruit or preserves, top with nuts, honey and or herbs.