You are going to love this easy six-ingredient Caramel Icing for cookies, cakes, caramel rolls and more! This light and fluffy buttercream recipe to have in your repertoire!
This Caramel Icing Recipe is so easy – just combine ingredients and whip until smooth. No fuss, no heat, just incredible icing in a minute or two! In fact, it’s so easy you’ll ask yourself why you’ve ever purchased icing.
Most caramel icing recipes will require you to heat sugar with butter to make a caramel, but you can still get the yummy caramel flavor without heating and all in one bowl!
Brown sugar contains molasses which has a deep caramel flavor to it, and this recipe tastes better than those that require this extra step. Save yourself some time and some dishes!
Whatever you call it – caramel icing, caramel frosting or caramel buttercream frosting – you’ll call it delicious! Just one bite and you’ll be hooked!
Table of Contents
Caramel Icing Ingredients
- Butter – It’s best to use unsalted butter in this recipe, if you use salted, reduce the amount of added salt used. It’s best to soften the butter before mixing it so it combines easier.
- Brown Sugar – Use brown sugar rather than white in this recipe. Brown sugar contains molasses which hekps to create that beautiful caramel flavour.
- Salt – The salt brings out the sweetness and caramel flavor in this icing. Reduce the amount slightly if you are using salted butter.
- Powdered Sugar – Also known as confectioners sugar. This sugar is very fine and combines well to create a fluffy and light icing.
- Milk – I use 2% milk in this recipe and it helps to make the frosting wonderfully creamy, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Vanilla – Use pure rather than imitation vanilla extract if you can. It’s really easy to make your own vanilla extract!
It’s so quick and easy to make this delicious frosting!
How to Make Caramel Icing
- Whip butter until smooth.
- Add brown sugar, salt, powdered sugar milk and vanilla. Whip until smooth and sugar is dissolved.
You can slather it onto cookies or warm it to pour over a bundt cake. You can also pipe it onto cupcakes! The options are endless, the flavor is memorable!
Ways to Use Caramel Buttercream Frosting
This light and fluffy caramel icing is the perfect addition to your favorite, breads, rolls and more! The options are endless. I can’t wait to hear what you use it on! I love it on:
It’s sweet, creamy and incredibly addicting. The rich buttercream is a compliment for so many desserts!
Tips To Make Caramel Frosting
- Soften your butter before making the icing, it will combine much easier. Soften your butter by removing it from the fridge 30 minutes to an hour before you want to use it. You can also gently heat it on low in the microwave, but be sure to remove the foil and take care not to fully melt it.
- If you use salted butter, reduce the amount of added salt in the recipe or omit altogether.
- Store – This buttercream frosting will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
You can make this caramel icing a day ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge. Before you use it, take it out of the fridge for a couple of hours and let it room to room temperature. Quickly re-fluff it in your mixer or with a hand whisk and use as you normally would.
If you try this caramel icing recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!
- Whip butter until smooth.
- Add brown sugar, salt, powdered sugar milk and vanilla. Whip until smooth and sugar has dissolved.