This rich and creamy spiked hot chocolate is delightful all winter long – and who doesn’t love a steaming cup of boozy hot chocolate?
The frosty cool flavor of peppermint schnapps drinks are a favorite addition to my winter cocktail line up.
Hot chocolate is a sweet treat we have on hand from Halloween to Valentine’s Day. To get into the Christmas spirit, I like to treat the kids to candy canes and the adults to my spiked hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps.
When the temperatures drop, I crave a warm mug of my homemade creamy hot chocolate, and if it’s in the evening, why not warm it up even more with an adult addition?
And if you love hot chocolate, don’t skip these incredible classic Hot Chocolate Bombs, Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs, Dark Hot Chocolate Bombs and my Peanut Butter and Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs. They are the BEST gift for friends, family and neighbors!
Peppermint is a special flavor that I wait months to enjoy. And not just a in the form of a peppermint candy cane- you can find this special flavor used everywhere from cookies to coffee, ice cream and more.
Spiked Hot Chocolate
This creamy, delicious hot cocoa topped with homemade whipped cream is easy to make, and better than any restaurant cocoa I’ve tried.
If you love peppermint as much as I do, you’ll have to check out my peppermint dessert guide! It’s filled with great recipes and detail about this delicious winter flavor.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Milk – You can use whole milk, 2%, or your favorite milk substitution.
- Vanilla Extract – Learn how to make homemade vanilla extract here.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – To make it creamy, I include sweetened condensed milk in addition to the regular milk and vanilla. I can’t get my hands on a mug fast enough!
- Chocolate – We like to use melting wafers, but you can also use your favorite chocolate chips!
- Peppermint Schnapps – Peppermint Schnapps is an American-style schnapps made from a combination of pure grain alcohol and peppermint leaves. It is a liqueur which has a taste somewhat similar to that of a candy cane.
How to Make
- Make a batch of hot chocolate. If you chose to use my hot chocolate recipe, start by melting the chocolate in a stock pot and add sweetened condensed milk to make it creamy.
- Next add milk and vanilla to the chocolate mix, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Add Peppermint Schnapps to each glass. Top with hot chocolate. Garnish and serve.
How to Rim a Glass
You can serve this hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps with or without a rimmed glass. It’s beautiful either way!
To rim the glass, you’ll need two cocktail plates.
Fill one plate with simple syrup and another with crushed candy canes, cocoa powder, etc.
Lightly dip the glass in simple syrup, followed by the topping of your choice.
- My original hot chocolate recipe makes enough for five drinks and it’s easily halved (or doubled!) with my printable measurement conversion chart.
- Hot chocolate can be served from a pretty pot on your range, or a crockpot to keep it warm.
- Spiked Hot Chocolate for one can be made as simple as a mug of milk and your favorite chocolate syrup. In a pinch you can use a single serving of store bought hot chocolate mixed with hot water.
- Want to gift some hot chocolate to friends? It’s an excellent gift, especially when wrapped up with a bottle of pretty spirits! Try the Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix for gifting.
Serve your Spiked Hot Chocolate as simply or as festively as you’d like.
- Topping a hot mug with a dollop of my homemade 2 ingredient whipped cream is a treat, but adding mini chocolate chips or crushed candy canes makes it dessert! I enjoy dusting my whipped cream with cocoa powder.
- Top your Spiked Hot Chocolate with a toasted Marshmallow. If you don’t have a fire pit going, cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the marshmallows on top. Broil marshmallows (watch closely) in the oven until they are lightly browned.
- Rimming your mug or glasses with crushed candy canes or cocoa powder looks as beautiful as it tastes.
- Drizzle with an extra helping of chocolate syrup for a beautiful presentation!
How to Store
- Room Temperature – This boozy hot chocolate can sit out at room temperature for up to two hours while serving.
- Refrigerator – Spiked hot chocolate can be stored in your refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Watch the date on your container of milk, though!
Spiked Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate melting wafers
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces peppermint schnapps
- In a pot over medium heat, melt chocolate. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla and peppermint schnapps and serve.
- Topping a hot mug with a dollop of my homemade 2 ingredient whipped cream is a treat, but adding mini chocolate chips or crushed candy canes makes it dessert!
- I enjoy dusting my whipped cream with cocoa powder.
- Add as much (or as little) peppermint schnapps as you would like, but this ratio works well for us.
- You can also use any kind of hot cocoa mix! Simply add 1.5 ounces of peppermint schnapps to 3/4 cup of hot cocoa.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.