This rich and creamy Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe is delightful all winter long – and who doesn’t love a steaming cup of spiked hot chocolate? The frosty cool flavor of peppermint schnapps drinks are a favorite addition to my winter cocktail line up.
Hot Chocolate is a sweet treat we have on hand from Halloween to Valentine’s Day. To get into the Christmas spirit, I like to treat the kids to candy canes and the adults to my Spiked Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps.
When the temperatures drop, I crave a warm mug of my homemade creamy hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. This creamy, delicious hot cocoa topped with homemade whipped cream is easy to make and better than any restaurant cocoa I’ve tried.
And if you love hot chocolate, don’t skip these incredible classic Hot Chocolate Bombs, Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs, Dark Hot Chocolate Bombs and my Peanut Butter and Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs. They are the BEST gift for friends, family and neighbors!
Peppermint is a special flavor that I wait months to enjoy. And not just a in the form of a peppermint candy cane- you can find this special flavor used everywhere from cookies to coffee, ice cream and more.
If you love peppermint as much as I do, you’ll have to check out my peppermint dessert guide! It’s filled with great recipes and detail about this delicious winter flavor.
Why You’ll Love this Spiked Hot Chocolate
- Spiked hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps is a fun adult twist on my family’s favorite drink.
- With very little effort, you have a delicious signature cocktail everyone will enjoy.
Loving all this holiday cocktail inspiration? I’ve got a free incredible round-up of 13 of the BEST Christmas Cocktails!
Ingredients in Spiked Hot Chocolate
Peppermint Schnapps is an American-style schnapps made from a combination of pure grain alcohol and peppermint leaves. It is a liqueur which has a taste somewhat similar to that of a candy cane.
My Homemade Hot Chocolate is made with real melted chocolate. I often use melting wafers, but you can use your favorite chocolate chips including milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips and dark chocolate chips.
To make it creamy, I include sweetened condensed milk, milk (2% or whole milk) and vanilla. I can’t get my hands on a mug fast enough!
My original hot chocolate recipe makes enough for five drinks and it’s easily halved (or doubled!) with my printable measurement conversion chart. Hot chocolate can be served from a pretty pot on your range, or a crockpot to keep it warm.
Spiked Hot Chocolate for one can be made as simple as a mug of milk and your favorite chocolate syrup. In a pinch you can use a single serving of store bought hot chocolate mixed with hot water.
All you need, regardless of the type of recipe you’d like to create?
- Peppermint Schnapps
- Hot Cocoa
How to Make Peppermint Hot Chocolate
Make a batch of hot chocolate. If you chose to use my hot chocolate recipe, start by melting the chocolate in a stock pot and add sweetened condensed milk to make it creamy. Next add milk and vanilla to the chocolate mix, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Garnish your mugs or glasses.
Add Peppermint Schnapps to each glass (specifics in printable recipe below). Top with hot chocolate. Garnish and serve.
How to Serve Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps
Serve your Spiked Hot Chocolate as simply or as festively as you’d like.
Topping a hot mug with a dollop of my homemade 2 ingredient whipped cream is a treat, but adding mini chocolate chips or crushed candy canes makes it dessert! I enjoy dusting my whipped cream with cocoa powder.
Top your Spiked Hot Chocolate with a toasted Marshmallow. If you don’t have a fire pit going, cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the marshmallows on top. Broil marshmallows (watch closely) in the oven until they are lightly browned.
Rimming your mug or glasses with crushed candy canes or cocoa powder looks as beautiful as it tastes.
Drizzle with an extra helping of chocolate syrup for a beautiful presentation!
How to Rim a Glass
You can serve this hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps with or without a rimmed glass. It’s beautiful either way!
To rim the glass, you’ll need two cocktail plates.
Fill one plate with simple syrup and another with crushed candy canes, cocoa powder, etc.
Lightly dip the glass in simple syrup, followed by the topping of your choice.
Want to gift some hot chocolate to friends? It’s an excellent gift, especially when wrapped up with a bottle of pretty spirits! Try the Best Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix for gifting.
I hope you enjoy this delicious hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps!
If you try this spiked hot chocolate, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too! For more easy recipes and simple living ideas, subscribe to my newsletter!
Peppermint Schnapps Drinks and More
If you love this peppermint hot chocolate, you should check out a few more of my favorite Christmas cocktail ideas.
- Merry Mint Cocktail– a cocktail with peppermint schnapps.
- Cinnamon Toast– this is a hot spiked winter cocktail that will warm you through and through.
- Merry Mai Tai– a holiday classic!
- Snowball Recipe– an ice cream and amaretto blend.
- Mulled Wine Recipe– a warm and cozy wine you can simmer on the stove for guests.
- Spiked Apple Cider with bourbon– this is a fragrant apple cider drink for the coziest of winter evenings.
- Perfectly Peppermint White Russian– this classic cocktail becomes your own festive holiday version
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate melting wafers
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces peppermint schnapps
- In a pot over medium heat, melt chocolate. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla and peppermint schnapps and serve.
- Topping a hot mug with a dollop of my homemade 2 ingredient whipped cream is a treat, but adding mini chocolate chips or crushed candy canes makes it dessert!
- I enjoy dusting my whipped cream with cocoa powder.
- Add as much (or as little) peppermint schnapps as you would like, but this ratio works well for us.
- You can also use any kind of hot cocoa mix! Simply add 1.5 ounces of peppermint schnapps to 3/4 cup of hot cocoa.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.