This delicious Homemade Hot Chocolate recipe is so easy to make! Get the secret that makes this Homemade Hot Chocolate so rich and creamy!
Originally published December 2015, updated with video and tips December 2019.
If there’s one thing I loved as a child, it was hot chocolate. Little did I know at the time that I wasn’t experiencing good hot chocolate. My mom was always conscience of our sugar intake and having hot chocolate was a special treat. I didn’t think twice when she’d open a packet, pour half in a cup of hot water, stir and serve.
As I’ve grown, so have my tastes and that half pack of watered down mix just isn’t enough. If you’re going to do something, do it right, right? This creamy homemade hot chocolate recipe takes less than 10 minutes to make and is so dreamy! And hey, it’s another way to squeeze in a little calcium.
Love hot chocolate and want a more grown up version? Don’t miss my delicious spiked hot chocolate – it’s got a delicious taste of peppermint schnapps!
It’s so incredibly quick and easy to make, yet better than any hot cocoa I’ve had at chain coffee shops! It’s so creamy and decadent, it’s the perfect treat on a cold winter day! The condensed milk really takes this drink to a whole other level – I can’t wait for you to try it!
Homemade Hot Chocolate Ingredients
- Chocolate Chips – or chocolate melting wafers. I like to use milk chocolate or semi-sweet, but you can use dark chocolate or white chocolate as well.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – The secret ingredient that makes this cocoa so creamy!
- Milk – Whatever milk you have on hand.
- Vanilla – completely optional, but a hint of vanilla adds a touch of flavor and makes it irresistible
How to Make Hot Chocolate
We frequently make this in fall and winter because it’s so quick and easy and so good! This recipe makes enough for 5 large drinks and it’s easily halved (or doubled). You can simply use the slider on the printable recipe card!
- Melt the chocolate.
- Add sweetened condensed milk to make it extra creamy.
- Whisk in milk and enjoy!
I love this drink exactly how it is, but if you want to make it more festive or fun for the kids, you can add a variety of toppings;
- whipped cream
- candy canes
- Make it a snowball fight – just add a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Add a shot of liqueur – Peppermint Schnapps or Marshmallow Vodka are favorites
More Drink Recipes
- Spiked Hot Chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps
- Pink Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Snowball Recipe | Amaretto Liqueur and Ice Cream Cocktail
- Bourbon Smash Cocktail | Whiskey Winter Smash Recipe
- Oatmeal Cookie Cocktail | Incredible Cookie Flavored Dessert Cocktail
If you try this homemade hot chocolate recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Hungry for more? Get my BEST Baking Secrets delivered directly to your inbox and connect on instagram facebook and pinterest!
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chocolate melting wafers
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a pot over medium heat, melt chocolate. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir until smooth.
- Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth.
- Whisk in vanilla and serve.
- You can use your favorite chocolate chips. I like to use semi-sweet, but milk chocolate and dark chocolate chips also work well.
- Don't let the drink boil on the stovetop.