Skip the store-bought mix and make this quick and easy, rich and creamy Hot Chocolate Mix! It’s made with just a few ingredients and keeps well so you’re ready to whip up a mug of hot chocolate in minutes!
Hot chocolate is one of the quintessential fall and winter drinks that can warm up even the chilliest of nights. This Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix makes it quick and easy to whip up a mug of creamy hot chocolate in minutes. It’s perfect for gifting, too!
It makes a thoughtful neighbor, teacher, and co-worker gift.
The best Hot Chocolate Mix is the one you mix up at home. It’s simple, sweet, and so creamy!
And if you love hot chocolate, don’t skip these incredible classic Hot Chocolate Bombs and my Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Bombs and Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs. They are the BEST gift for friends, family and neighbors!
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
Hot Chocolate Mix Ingredients
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – Dutch process or natural unsweetened are preferable, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
- Powdered Sugar – Also known as confectioners sugar. Do not use organic powdered sugar as it doesn’t yield a smooth consistency. You can substitute white granulated sugar in a pinch.
- Malted Milk Powder – Completely optional but so good! It results in the creamiest hot chocolate! You can typically find malted milk powder in the baking aisle – be sure to choose a gluten free version if that’s an issue for your family.
- Powdered Milk – Powdered milk also contributes to a creamy hot chocolate mix. It is dried evaporated milk and doesn’t expire as quickly as fresh milk. You can eliminate or substitute with instant coffee creamer if needed.
- Vanilla Powder
- Espresso Powder
- Pinch of Salt
How to Make Hot Chocolate Mix
- Combine – In a small mixing bowl, whisk cocoa powder, powdered sugar, malt powder and powdered milk until well combined. To prevent lumps, sift cocoa and powdered sugar. Alternatively, you can add to a large mason jar and shake.
- Store – Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
Add a half cup Hot Chocolate Mix into your mug. Pour a half cup of hot water or milk over the top and stir. You can also warm in a slow cooker.
Optional Add Ins
- Add a layer of miniature marshmallows or marshmallow bits at the top of your mix and seal in a jar.
How to Store
- At Room Temperature – Store in an airtight container up to 6 months.
- Gluten Free – only if you choose a specifically gluten free malted milk powder.
- Dairy Free – Simply eliminate powdered milk.
- Nut Free
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I receive a small commission at no cost to you!
Hungry for more easy recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club and have amazing recipes delivered directly to your inbox each week!
More Easy Drink Recipes
- Apple Cider
- Pear Cider
- Mulled Wine
- Non-Alcoholic Mulled Wine
- Pink Hot Chocolate
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Bombs
- White Chocolate Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Dark Hot Chocolate Bombs
Hot Chocolate Mix
- In a medium mixing bowl or large sealable jar, whisk / combine powdered sugar, cocoa, powdered milk and malted milk powder until smooth.
- Add a layer of marshmallows and serve with hot water or milk or add a layer of marshmallows to an airtight jar and store until use.