Soft and chewy Pumpkin Sugar Cookies that are melt-in-your mouth delicious. You’ll love this Pumpkin Sugar Cookie Recipe with a Cream Cheese Glaze for a little fall flavor you’ll want to savor all year! Fastened with a ribbon, these pumpkin cookies make the perfect holiday treat!
It’s day 3 of Fall Cookie Week which means Michael and I have 2 more incredible recipes to share with you!
I never really thought I was a pumpkin fan until I took a bite of these Pumpkin Sugar Cookies. I was happy to oblige since it’s the season of pumpkin everything, but once again, I was surprised. The subtle pumpkin flavor paired with cream cheese makes these soft and chewy Pumpkin Sugar Cookies irresistible.
A cookie should look as good as it tastes and these certainly do. They’re also stackable, making them great for gift-giving. Why limit cookie sharing to Christmas? ‘Tis the season of being thankful and takes the pressure off during the holidays. You can stack them in a small cellophane bag and wrap them with a ribbon, or simply secure the bag with a piece of washi tape. Place them in a charming basket for a beautiful housewarming or hostess gift.
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies Ingredients
- Butter – Make sure it is slightly softened.
- Vegetable Oil – You need a neutral flavored fat for moisture and tenderness. It’s part of the reason why these pumpkin cookies are so soft & chewy.
- Canned Pumpkin – Yes, canned pumpkin! It’s what makes this cookie recipe quick and easy.
- Sugar – For sweetness, of course!
- Powdered Sugar – Powdered sugar is made with a touch of cornstarch, which helps give the cookies a tender texture.
- Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Eggs – Fresh, organic eggs help bind the pumpkin cookie ingredients together.
- Flour – I like Pillsbury unbleached, all-purpose flour. But whatever flour you have in your panty will work.
- Baking Soda – A mere 1/4 tsp gives these pumpkin cookies their lift.
- Cream of Tartar – A secret ingredient! The cream of tartar gives the cookies an extra lift!
- Salt – I use fine sea salt for all my baking recipes.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg – These two warm spices make me think of all things Fall!
Cream Cheese Glaze Ingredients
- Cream Cheese – Full-fat cream cheese is best since this is the main ingredient.
- Butter – Softened, both for texture and flavor.
- Vanilla – Again, make sure to use pure vanilla extract for the best flavor.
- Powdered Sugar – The powdered sugar creates a smoother frosting.
- Corn Syrup – Optional, but I find it adds that extra bit of shine.
How to Make Soft & Chewy Pumpkin Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, vegetable oil, pumpkin, sugars, vanilla, and eggs until smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- With two tablespoons, drop dough balls onto parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 13 minutes, or until the cookies are a light golden brown.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, and optional corn syrup until smooth.
- Once the pumpkin cookies are completely cool, top with cream cheese glaze by spooning on or smoothing on with a spatula. Allow to completely set.
If you’ve ever wanted pumpkin pie wrapped into a cookie you’ll love these Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies. There’s no need to purchase store-bought dough – these are so incredibly easy to make and have bakery-style quality that melts-in-your-mouth!
How to Frost Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
These pumpkin cookies are so easy to frost, too! Just warm the cream cheese glaze, add a dollop and smooth on with a spatula or icing spatula. No decorating required! The glaze will harden just enough to stack, but not enough to take away that soft, chewy flavor you’ll love.
How Many Calories are in Pumpkin Sugar Cookies?
We’re not even going to begin to talk about how many calories are in one of these sugar cookies, but if you really want to know you can find it in the printable recipe card below!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we all do, please write a five star review and help me share on Facebook and Pinterest!
You can find the Pumpkin Sugar Cookies printable recipe card below, but first, Michael of Inspired by Charm has made Maple Glazed Cinnamon Chip Bars for you today (get the recipe here)! For all of you pumpkin lovers out there, you don’t want to miss his recipe Friday!
More Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Pumpkin Pound Cake
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cookies
- 5 Minute No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Muffins
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Cookies
- Best Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Crazy Moist Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Get all the best tips, tricks and recipes for your fall pumpkin baking right here. My ultimate pumpkin baking guide is totally free and filled with delicious possibilities!
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 c butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 c powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, vegetable oil, pumpkin, sugars, vanilla and eggs until smooth.
- Gradually mix in dry ingredients until incorproated.
- Drop dough balls onto a cookie sheet and flatten using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 13 minutes (watch baking time as your oven may vary).
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar and optional corn syrup until smooth.
- Melt and top cooled cookies by spooning on or smoothing on with a spatula. Allow to cool until set.