Why should a minty mojito have all the fun? This mint margarita recipe is full of the tangy, sour bite of limes and matched with the refreshing and icy blast of fresh mint.
It’s everything you want a margarita to be… just elevated in an interesting new way! All you need is fresh lime juice, mint leaves, simple syrup and the best Tequila you can find.
If you’ve been reading for long, you know that my love for margaritas and Mexican-inspired flavor runs deep. I can’t get enough, and I love experimenting with new combinations and sharing with you!
Recently, I experienced an incredibly vibrant mint margarita when we were out enjoying dinner at a Mexican restaurant. My taste buds exploded in the best possible way, and I think yours will too.
A mint margarita focuses on the icy, minty coolness of fresh mint but combines it with lots of sour bold lime flavor and smooth tequila. You can customize it by adding more or less simple syrup, salting the rim (or not) and changing up your tequila to experiment.
This isn’t your average margarita. Much like my Cadillac Margarita, this one feels special and more unique, and I just know you’re going to enjoy it. In fact, this cocktail has a lot of fun names: Mojitarita, Margarito, and even a Mexican Mojito.
You call it whatever you want, I call it so.much.fun. Who’s ready for Cinco de Mayo?
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love this Mint Margarita
- Easy to make with minimal ingredients
- Look like the ultimate home bartender!
- Perfect summer sip
- Full of fresh flavor – you’ll never want a store-bought mix again (try my homemade margarita mix!)
- Great with all your favorite Mexican foods
Mint Margarita Recipe Ingredients
- Limes – Fresh limes will always give you the brightest citrus flavor.
- Mint – Any kind of mint will do, but spearmint is always a favorite.
- Simple Syrup – Of course, you’ll need sweetness to balance the limes. Use a simple syrup for an easy way to sweeten your cocktail.
- Tequila – but not just any tequila! See my complete Tequila Guide for all my best suggestions, or start with a simple Blanco (silver) tequila.
- Crushed ice – and water. Trust me, this is how you take a margarita from good to amazing.
- Make Skinny – Substitute with honey or agave syrup for simple syrup to reduce calories.
- Make it Spicy – Add jalapenos for a spicy flavor kick to create a spicy mint margarita.
- Try it Salty – Some people love a good salty rim, while others do not. Try it and see what works for you!
- Extra Citrus – Add a splash of Cointreau or other orange liqueur for a little more citrus.
How to Make a Mint Margarita
- Combine tequila, freshly squeezed lime juice, mint leaves, simple syrup and water in a cocktail shaker. Alternatively, you can use a muddler more like a mojito.
- Then pour over a rimmed glass filled with crushed ice.
- Optional: garnish with a lime and fresh stems of mint.
You can also add your mint leaves to your simple syrup. Simply add the leaves to your syrup as it heats and remove them after it boils down.
- Use Fresh Mint – It makes such a difference! You can find it at your local grocer or better yet, why not grow your own? Learn how to create an indoor hanging herb garden.
- Use Fresh Limes – For the best possible flavor, you’ve got to use fresh limes! Their natural acidity balances out the fruit and sweeteners perfectly.
- Great Ice – yes, ice matters so much. Enjoying a mint and tequila infused ice cube is part of the joy! Check out our favorite countertop ice maker for the best cocktail ice.
Scaling up, down or substituting? You’ll love this printable Measurement Conversion Chart! Don’t forget you can also use the sliding scale bar in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Make a Pitcher of Mint Margaritas
Serving a crowd? Check this out!
- 3 cups tequila
- 2 cups lime juice
- 2 cups simple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup of fresh mint leaves
How to Store Mint Margaritas
- Refrigerate – Store in a sealed jar up to a week refrigerated.
- Freeze – Store in an airtight container and freeze up to three months.
- Gluten Free – Use 100% Agave Tequila
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
Mint Margarita Recipe
- crushed ice
- 3 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces lime juice
- 2 ounces simple syrup
- 1 ounce water
- 5-6 mint leaves muddled or shaken and strained
- Whisk or shake tequila, lime juice, simple syrup, mint and water.
- Pour over crushed ice into a salt rimmed glass.
- Use Fresh Mint – It makes such a difference!
- Use Fresh Limes – For the best possible flavor, you’ve got to use fresh limes! However, if you can’t do it, use the lime juice in your grocer’s produce section for a shortcut.
- Great Ice – yes, crushed ice matters so much. Enjoying a mint and tequila infused ice cube is part of the joy!