I’ve been putting the finishing touches on our guest suite. One of my favorite things to include is a little something for my guests to indulge in. What’s more refreshing than a homemade scrub? It turns a simple shower into a spa experience.
Ingredients in Homemade Scrub
- Sugar – is a gentle exfoliator that can be used on any skin type and on sensitive skin. I typically use white granulated sugar or brown sugar, but you can use any sugar you have on hand.
- Carrier Oil – It is up to you! Some of my favorites include Grapeseed Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Sweet Almond oil, and even Olive Oil.
- Spearmint Essential Oil – just a few drops to your preference.
- Dried Lavender – adds beautiful color, texture, and scent to this already sweet diy body scrub. Keep in mind that lavender activates when rubbed or broken, so it will be more fragrant in the bath or shower.
How to Make the Best Body Scrub
- Combine Oil and Sugar.
- Add Spearmint Essential Oil.
- Add Dried Lavender.
- Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Scoop into jars and label.
What is Sugar Scrub
Sugar Scrub is an easy recipe using only 4 ingredients; sugar, carrier oil, essential oil, and dried lavender. Sugar gives a gentle exfoliation without pain, rubbing away chapped, dry skin leaving it feeling smooth and refreshed. Carrier oil adds moisture, hydrating your skin and locking it in.
A homemade scrub is significantly more gentle than a sea salt scrub or a coffee scrub and can be used a few times a week. However, there is always too much of a good thing. Skin is delicate and can become irritated by over exfoliation.
Get started on making your own sugar scrub recipes using your favorite textures and scents. Decide on which oils best suit your skin and which scents are your favorite. Check out my sugar scrub bar for entertaining ideas and making sugar scrub with your guests.
Try adding other essential oils. Moroccan Rose is a favorite and pairs well with lavender. It is said that the pair have a peaceful and calming aroma.
Oils can be so hydrating and healing for your skin. Some may even reduce the appearance of sunspots and wrinkles. I’ve tried carrier oils such as Olive Oil, Carrot Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Coconut Oil, or Jojoba Oil.
How to Use Sugar Scrub
This gentle sugar scrub can be used as a hand scrub, foot scrub, body scrub or lip scrub.
- Thoroughly wet and soften your skin with warm water.
- Apply Sugar Scrub and rub in a circular motion.
- Rinse .
- Pat skin dry.
- Apply an after lotion. I love using shea butter.
- Avoid allowing water in your homemade scrub as it will spoil quicker and might become moldy.
- Use a small spoon to scoop out sugar scrub contents.
- Homemade Sugar Scrub makes wonderful gifts for teachers, hostess, friends, and family!
- Use sugar scrub before a mani or pedi.
- Use sugar scrub before shaving to avoid stinging or irritation. It also gives a smoother shave.
- If using it as a face scrub, be sure to test a small patch of skin before applying to the entire face.
- If you enjoy the scent of lavender but not the texture, you can substitute a few drops of lavender essential for the dried lavender. You can also pulse dried lavender in the food processor until smooth. This will bring it to a smoother consistency and also bring out more of its beautiful scent.
How to Store
Any container with a tight lid is perfect for storing sugar scrub. I like to use small mason jars or recycled jars from other projects. If you plan to use this body polish in the shower I recommend using a plastic storage jar for safety reasons.
To Gift Homemade Scrub
I love showing my appreciation and love through gifts. Homemade gifts are a wonderful way to customize your present for the receiver. Sugar body wash is an amazing luxurious natural bath recipe that anyone would enjoy!
Simply tie a ribbon around your jar or add to a gift basket. A solid or floral print store bought gift bag also adds a little to the presentation. Don’t forget to label and date your gift!
More Natural Bath Recipes
Want more natural bath recipes? I’ve created a variety of winning combinations for every season!
- Luxurious Brown Sugar Scrub – A beautifully rich and luxurious sugar scrub recipe that feels like a mini spa treatment!
- Lip Sugar Scrub – Don’t forget to pamper your lips with this soothing lip scrub. Perfect for those dry chapped winter months!
- DIY Lemon Sugar Scrub – The perfect scrub for summer! With only 3 ingredients, this body scrub will be ready in minutes!
- Milk and Honey Homemade Face Mask – Learn the benefits of milk and honey for your skin and how to make this easy 2 minute face mask recipe!
- Citrus Coconut Scrub – This citrus scrub combines lemon, orange, and coconut oil to make the most amazing body scrub! You can use it not only in the shower but as a kitchen hand scrub as well!
- Lavender Lemon Body Scrub – Luxurious homemade sugar scrub with my favorite springtime scents!
- Homemade Bubble Bath Recipe – This easy recipe is perfect for gifting. I love to use as a stocking stuffer or in a gift basket! Be sure to make extra for yourself!
- Rosemary Spearmint Homemade Sugar Scrub – An all-natural sugar scrub recipe with rosemary and spearmint. This recipe is so easy you can make it in minutes and enjoy in your kitchen or shower!
- 1/4 Cup Carrier Oil
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- Spearmint Essential Oil (approx 10 drops)
- 5 Heads of Dried Lavender (pulled apart)
- Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Storage Jars
- Combine Oil and Sugar
- Add Spearmint Essential Oil
- Add Dried Lavender
- Mix Thoroughly to Combine
- Scoop into Jars and Label
Oil Options: Olive Oil, Carrot Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Coconut Oil, or Jojoba Oil