It’s like your favorite Italian grinder sandwich, in a deconstructed form! This grinder salad recipe is full of all the delicious flavors you love, in a crunchy, creamy, fresh salad format.
Grinder sandwiches and salads have been viral for the past year, and it’s time you made this delicious and wholesome salad for yourself!
Luckily, it takes just a few minutes to chop up and throw it together. It’s wonderful as a side salad or as an entire meal!
I love a chopped salad, don’t you? There’s just something so fabulous about getting all the flavors in every single bite.
Instead of big pieces of lettuce, you’re getting chopped up pieces of every ingredient, creating a delectable bite each and every time. It also allows the dressing to help mesh the salad together perfectly – soaking in and creating a flavor explosion!
This grinder salad recipe is no different. It’s got some wonderful and traditional Italian flavors, in an updated, wholesome format. I think you’re going to love it!
Grinder Salad Recipe
This is a mouthwatering salad that is as delicious to eat as it is gorgeous to serve!
- Mayonnaise – We love olive oil mayo in our house, but you can even learn how to make your own homemade mayonnaise.
- Red Wine Vinegar – For the perfect bite of acidity.
- Italian Seasoning – You can make your own Italian seasoning blend.
- Black Pepper – Freshly ground.
- Crushed Red Pepper – A little goes a long way!
- Garlic – Minced. Learn how to mince garlic here.
- Pepperoncini Peppers – Chopped.
- Red Onion – Red onion adds a pretty pop of color and flavor.
- Italian Deli Meats – Use your favorites – we included salami, pepperoni and soppressata.
- Parmesan – Fresh grated parmesan makes a world of difference! Learn how to grate cheese here.
- Iceberg Lettuce – Chopped.
- Switch Miracle Whip for Mayo, or do half and half for a sweeter dressing.
- Use Cheddar or Colby Jack in place of Parmesan.
- Substitute sour cream or Greek yogurt for the dressing.
- Switch up your veggies! Consider adding diced red or yellow peppers, green onions, cherry tomatoes and more.
- Add even more crunch with a topping of fried onions, croutons and more.
How to Make
- Make Dressing – In a medium mixing bowl, add dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Chop Ingredients – Chop remaining ingredients (the base of the salad) into bite sized pieces. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Combine – Pour dressing over salad ingredients with fresh grated Parmesan and mix thoroughly. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe makes ones of the best Italian side dishes and it’s so easy to prepare. Serve it with any of these idea for a fabulous dinner!
- Fetuccine Alfredo
- Pasta Con Broccoli
- Easy Cacio E Pepe
- Garlic Bread
- It’s also excellent as a chopped grinder sandwich – recipe coming soon!
How to Store
- At Room Temperature – Keep at room temperature while serving, but transfer to the refrigerator after two hours.
- Refrigerate – Store in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to three days. However, the salad will become soggy over storage time. The dressing can be made several days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator as well!
- Freeze – Salads generally shouldn’t be frozen, and this one is no exception.
Grinder Salad Recipe
Grinder Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup Pepperoncini Peppers chopped
- ¼ cup Red Onion chopped
- 1 cup Italian Deli Meats Use your favorites – we like salami, pepperoni and soppressata.
- ½ cup Parmesan fresh grated
- 6 cups Iceberg Lettuce Chopped
- In a medium mixing bowl, add mayonnaise, vinegar, garlic, salt, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Chop iceberg lettuce, pepperoncinis, red onion and deli meats into bite sized pieces. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour dressing and fresh grated Parmesan over salad ingredients and mix thoroughly. Serve and enjoy!
- Fresh is always best, especially in a salad like this one. Use high quality ingredients for the best flavor and texture. (And of course, if possible, use freshly shredded cheese rather than pre-packaged).
- Don’t dress your salad until just before serving, as the lettuce will wilt and become soggy.
- Make this salad dressing ahead of time! Just shake it up well before serving!
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.