Growing up, we made a lot of doughnuts. We’d purchase inexpensive biscuits, poke a hole in them, fry them and toss them in a bag of cinnamon sugar. It was a mess, but we always looked forward to them.
While most kids have lemonade stands, my sister and I set up a doughnut stand on doughnut day and really put my mom to work. We were guaranteed to sell out in 30 minutes or less serving the mail carrier and neighbors. I can only imagine how much she would have loved making these easy baked doughnuts instead!
These baked doughnuts are just as good and don’t leave your kitchen smelling like grease for days. They’re so easy the girls even help me make them. I slightly adapted the recipe from the Barefoot Contessa Foolproof cookbook eliminating nutmeg and adding more vanilla.
I just love the color of these doughnuts. Even my favorite doughnut shops don’t compare!
If you don’t have a doughnut pan you will love this muffin adaptation!
Cinnamon Sugar Doughnuts
- 2 c flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 c whole milk
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 c butter melted
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & spray doughnut pans.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Combine wet ingredient and gradually add dry ingredients until just combined.
- Spoon batter into pans, filling just over 3/4 full.
- Bake 15-16 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing.
- Lightly dip each doughnut in butter, followed by cinnamon and sugar mixture and serve warm.