An easy Chocolate Chip Forgotten Cookies recipe gets an overnight ‘bake’ in the oven, or as we like to call them, a Nighty Night. It’s a meringue cookie with 3 simple ingredients (plus mint, for some holiday spirit!), that transforms into a Christmas cookie classic. It’s simply magic!
This forgotten cookie recipe has been a long-time favorite in my family. Made with just 3 ingredients, they are a great last minute cookie to make.
My mom always dyed them mint green and I think they’re a pretty contrast with chocolate chips – reminds me of mint chocolate chip ice cream! These simple forgotten cookies were like magic to me as a child. We’d “tuck them in” the oven and say “nighty night.” I’ve even got a Valentine’s Day inspired Easy Meringue Recipe.
It really gets us all into the Christmas spirit. Throughout the years, I’ve made these cookies on Christmas Eve and put them to ‘sleep’ in the oven overnight. Light as air meringue cookies come Christmas morning – there isn’t anything better!
Chocolate Chip Forgotten Cookie Ingredients
- Egg Whites – The base of any meringue cookie starts with fresh egg whites. Cold eggs are easier to separate, however, room temperature egg whites are easier to whip. Separate the eggs straight from the fridge, but wait 30 minutes before whipping. We will discuss a few tips about making meringue in a bit!
- Sugar – Sugar makes these easy forgotten cookies sweet, but also helps to stabilize the meringue batter. Regular, granulated sugar is all you need.
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips add that extra special touch. Regular size chocolate chips, not miniature, work best for this meringue recipe. I prefer Nestle or Guittard.
BONUS: If you’d like to make mint chocolate chip forgotten cookies like my mom used to make, add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract to the egg whites with a few drops of green food coloring.
How To Make Forgotten Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar and beat until really stiff.
- Fold in chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoon onto foil-lined baking sheets.
- Turn the oven off. Place cookies in the oven and leave overnight, being careful not to open the oven door.
Tips For The Best Meringue Cookies
- The smallest amount of fat will make the egg whites in the forgotten cookies deflate. For best results, crack cold eggs, one at a time, on a flat countertop and separate the yolk and white into two separate bowls. Once you know there is no yolk in your egg white, transfer it to the mixing bowl and proceed with the second egg.
- Make sure your bowl and whisk are completely clean and dry. And be sure to use a copper, glass or metal bowl. Plastic bowls tend to keep a layer of fat on the surface. And remember – fat is not our friend!
- Sugar helps to create a thicker structure that egg whites alone could not achieve. Our Christmas cookie classic recipe gives us the right ratio.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips with as little folds as possible. This ensures we don’t knock out all the air!
- Do not open the oven door once you put the cookies in the oven. If the oven door opens, all that gentle, hot air will escape, leaving you with flat meringue cookies.
Forgotten Cookies, Forgotten Calories, Too!
What I didn’t think about when I was younger is that these are actually low-calorie cookies, too! BONUS! This is the best part since I can hardly resist eating at least two, ehem, three. Yes, I know that negates it, but gosh, they’re so good!
How To Store
These homemade chocolate chip meringue cookies can be stored in an airtight container, with pieces of parchment between layers, for up to 2 weeks. The parchment paper helps to absorb any unwanted moisture, keeping your forgotten cookies crisp and light.
If you try this Chocolate Chip Forgotten Cookies recipe, please come back to share using my 5-star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too! For more easy recipes and simple living ideas, subscribe to my newsletter! LET’S CONNECT! instagram | newsletter | facebook | pinterest
More Christmas Cookie Recipes
- White Chocolate Chip Cookies (White Christmas Cookies)
- Meringue Cookies Recipe
- Chewy Chocolate Mint Cookies with Andes Candy
- Chocolate Peppermint Cookies (Chocolate Mint Cookies)
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Peppermint Cookies
- Pecan Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate Butter
- Chocolate Fluffernutter Cookies
- Meringue Cookies (Snowball Cookies)
Chocolate Chip Forgotten Cookies
- 2 egg whites
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips preferably not miniature
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Add sugar and beat until really stiff – this takes time.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by teaspoon onto foil lined cookie sheets.
- Turn the oven off, put cookies in and leave overnight – no peeking!
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.