Skip the store-bought mix and make this quick and easy, rich and creamy hot chocolate mix! It’s made with just a few ingredients and keeps well so you’re ready to whip up a mug of hot chocolate in minutes!
This homemade hot chocolate mix makes it quick and easy to whip up a mug of creamy hot chocolate in minutes. It’s perfect for gifting, too!
Hot chocolate is one of the quintessential fall and winter drinks that can warm up even the chilliest of nights.
It makes a thoughtful neighbor, teacher, and co-worker gift.
The best Hot Chocolate Mix is the one you mix up at home. It’s simple, sweet, and so creamy!
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
If you love hot chocolate, don’t skip these incredible classic Hot Chocolate Bombs and my Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate Bombs and Peppermint Hot Chocolate Bombs. They are the BEST gift for friends, family and neighbors!
Why You’ll Love it
- Quick + Easy – You’ll never go back to a store bought mix!
- A Great Gift – Perfect for holiday treats for neighbors and friends.
- Customizable – Add any of our suggested mix-ins and toppings for a more personalized hot chocolate experience.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Powdered Sugar
- Malted Milk Powder
- Powdered Milk
- Vanilla Powder
- Espresso Powder
- Pinch of Salt
How to Make Hot Chocolate Mix
- Combine – In a small mixing bowl, whisk cocoa powder, powdered sugar, malt powder and powdered milk until well combined. To prevent lumps, sift cocoa and powdered sugar. Alternatively, you can add to a large mason jar and shake.
- Store – Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
How to Serve
Add a half cup hot chocolate mix into your mug. Pour a half cup of hot water or milk over the top and stir. You can also warm in a slow cooker.
Personalize your homemade hot chocolate mix with some delicious toppings and mix-ins!
Want to balance out all those sweet flavors? Add up to one teaspoon of salt to create an even richer flavor profile.
- Add a layer of miniature marshmallows or marshmallow bits at the top of your mix and seal in a jar.
How to Store
- At Room Temperature – Store in an airtight container up to six months.
- Gluten Free – only if you choose a specifically gluten free malted milk powder.
- Dairy Free – Simply eliminate powdered milk.
- Nut Free
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- In a medium mixing bowl or large sealable jar, whisk / combine powdered sugar, cocoa, powdered milk and malted milk powder until smooth.
- Add a layer of marshmallows and serve with hot water or milk or add a layer of marshmallows to an airtight jar and store until use.
- Want to balance out all those sweet flavors? Add up to one teaspoon of salt to create an even richer flavor profile.
- To Serve: Add 1/2 cup hot chocolate mix into your mug. Pour a half cup of hot water or milk over the top and stir. You can also warm in a slow cooker.
VariationsPersonalize your homemade hot chocolate mix with some delicious toppings and mix-ins!
- Nut Butter (peanut butter, almond butter)
- Liquor – Peppermint Schnapps, Cinnamon Schnapps
- Homemade Whipped Cream
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.