What Are Sun Dried Tomatoes?
Sun dried tomatoes are just that, sun dried! They are whole tomatoes that spend most of their time drying in the sun. Sweet and chewy, they add a pop of concentrated tomato flavor and succulent chew that makes this easy pasta tomato sauce so delectable.
Where Can I Find Sun Dried Tomatoes In The Grocery Store?
You can typically find sun dried tomatoes in the canned vegetable section and/or produce section. If you have a local Italian market, that’s even better! The smaller Italian markets will sell imported sundried tomatoes from Italy, which are of a higher quality.
How Do You Use Sun Dried Tomatoes?
This depends on the version you purchase. There are two – packed in oil and dry. I prefer the jarred sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil for this pasta sauce since they are much more flavorful. Just make sure to drain before adding to the pasta sauce recipe. Bonus – save that flavorful oil to finish your pasta dish or for your next salad dressing!
If you buy the dry package, usually in plastic, simply reconstitute in warm water for 30 minutes until soft and pliable. Drain and reserve the water to add flavor to stocks and sauces.
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Sauce Ingredients
- Olive Oil – I prefer a high quality olive oil from Italy. Olive oil blends tend to be inferior in flavor.
- Garlic – One clove will give you about 1 teaspoon minced garlic. If your in a pinch, use 1 teaspoon garlic powder instead.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes – A high quality, Italian brand packed in oil will give you the best sun dried tomato pasta sauce. If you don’t have an Italian market nearby, you can also purchase on Amazon.
- Tomato Sauce – A little shortcut goes a long way. Store-bought, canned tomato sauce will save you time and effort in the kitchen. My favorite is Muir Glen Organic Tomato Sauce.
- Ground Red Pepper – A little kick of spice adds such balance to the sweet tomato and basil. Add more if you want a spicy sun dried tomato pasta sauce.
- Dry White Wine – I specify dry since the tomatoes have sweetness all on their own. The bonus of cooking with wine – you can enjoy a glass when you’re ready to serve!
- Black Pepper – A few cracks is all you need. Taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking at the very end.
- Basil – Bright, beautiful, slightly sweet fresh basil takes this sundried tomato pasta recipe to the next level. Reserve the basil for the end to lock in the bright green color and flavor.
How To Make Pasta Sauce With Sun Dried Tomatoes
- In a medium saucepot, combine olive oil, garlic and sun dried tomatoes over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
- Deglaze with wine and stir well.
- Add tomato sauce and red pepper. Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with fresh black pepper.
- Sprinkle with fresh basil. Toss with your favorite pasta and enjoy!
A Classic Tomato and Basil Flavor Combination
This simple pasta sauce doesn’t require much. And it due to the wonderful flavor of tomato and basil. These two ingredients just remind me of all things Italy and summertime. I recommend purchasing a small basil plant next time you go grocery shopping and set it in your windowsill to catch some sun. Just make sure to keep it hydrated! Fresh basil at a moment’s notice.
It’s the little things in life that make me smile. A bite of this sun dried tomato pasta sauce and a sip of white wine. Simply divine.
More Pasta Sauce Recipes You’ll Love:
- White Wine Sauce for Pasta
- Spicy Pomodoro Sauce
- Amazing Vodka Sauce Recipe
- Bolognese Sauce Recipe
- White Wine Lemon Caper Sauce
- Summer Cream Sauce Recipe
- Lemon Cream Sauce
If you try this Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Sauce recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too! For more easy recipes and simple living ideas, subscribe to my newsletter!
Sun Dried Tomato Pasta Sauce
A simple Sun Dried Tomato Pasta sauce is incredibly easy to make in less than 15 minutes. Tomato and basil add that extra special touch of summer goodness.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 8 oz sun dried tomatoes jar, drained
- 8 oz tomato sauce can
- 1 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- basil fresh
Over medium heat, combine olive oil, garlic and sun dried tomatoes. Stir and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
Pour wine in and stir well.
Add tomato sauce and red pepper and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Pepper to taste.
Sprinkle with basil.