This homemade poultry seasoning blend will bring your chicken dishes to the next level. With only six ingredients, you’ll be surprised when you see how easy this chicken seasoning mix is, and pleased with the amazing flavor it brings. Homemade chicken seasoning takes that bland chicken and turns it into a family favorite!
We have baked chicken for dinner in our house about once a week… at least! This lean protein is so healthy, and so easy to prepare. The whole family loves a good chicken dinner- and why not? It’s such a flexible way to create a meal we can all enjoy.
I’ve often served a chicken entree for dinner parties, and even a few holiday gatherings. Everyone loves poultry and it is a safe protein to please a crowd. I have a host of different ways to bake, roast, or grill, poultry in my recipe line-ups.
However, one thing I keep consistent, (most of the time!) is my poultry seasoning. A little dash can go a long way, and even alone it is a beautiful herb complex flavor for any poultry.
Table of Contents
My Favorite Easy Chicken Seasoning Mix
If you’ve been reading here long, you might have noticed that I’m a huge fan of herb blends and spice blends of all kinds. They save me so much time in the kitchen, and I have our family favorite combinations almost memorized.
Yes, I know anyone can pick up a bottle in the grocery store, but I love that I can tailor them to our specific tastes! The perfect amount of heat, and strength.
What’s in Poultry Seasoning?
Poultry seasoning is the combination of dried herbs and spices to best compliment poultry. It can be used as a dry rub, mixed into a marinade, or even used in a stuffing. In this recipe, I use dried herbs that are well suited for blends, and storing for a season.
There are only six ingredients in this spice blend, and no additives or preservatives. That’s my favorite part of making my own spice blends- I know exactly what’s in them! I don’t like added salt and sugar- why go that route when it’s so easy to make your own?
There are only six ingredients in this spice blend, no additives or preservatives.
Poultry Seasoning Ingredients
Dried Sage – a beautiful herb with many health benefits and wonderful flavor. Typically it is dried and then ground or crumbled. In this recipe, I use a flakier dried sage over ground, but either will work well.
Dried Thyme – is another herb and member of the mint family. It is a wonderful addition to poultry and pairs so well with marjoram.
Dried Marjoram – a delicate and complicated herb with a sweet and woody scent. Its flavor intensives when it is dried.
Dried Rosemary – lends its lovely green color to the blend along with its sharp taste and texture.
Ground Nutmeg – I find many are surprised by this spice which is usually found in sweet recipes, but nutmeg adds a peppery and nutty flavor that is very pleasant, and deepens this seasoning profile.
Finely Ground Black Pepper – everything comes together and makes sense with this sharp woody flavor. It’s hot and spicy, but even those with mild taste buds can’t do without!
*I will mention here that many love the addition of smoked paprika. I love the flaky red color it brings, but not everyone is a fan and it can be quite strong, so I will leave it as an optional ingredient.
How to Make Chicken Seasoning Mix
It’s so easy, it’s barely any work at all! You’re going to be so thrilled with the ease, fragrance and flavor of this spice blend.
- Thoroughly combine all herbs in a small bowl.
- Scoop into prepared storage jars and store in an airtight container!
Uses for Chicken Seasoning
This poultry seasoning recipe is wonderful to add to any poultry; chicken, turkey, and duck. However, these delicious flavors are not lent only to poultry. These herbs and spices are enticing in a variety of dishes because of their mild, flexible flavor and fragrance.
Some ideas include beef stews, soups, vegetables, and even vegetarian dishes. Of course you can use this in any recipe that calls for poultry seasoning.
One simple family favorite is using it as a dry rub over chicken thighs and roasting in the oven for a simple, but simply delicious, sheet pan dinner. Recently, a friend told me she added poultry seasoning to tuna and the results were amazing!
This seasoning also makes a delicious dry rub for grilling, baking, or roasting.
Recipes for poultry seasoning
Here are some recipes to use your fresh batch of this homemade fresh poultry seasoning.
- Beer Can Chicken – you won’t find a piece of dry chicken in this moist beer can chicken. I use poultry seasoning as a dry rub which adds the most amazing flavor and gives a caramelized texture to the skin.
- Rosemary Chicken – this rosemary chicken is a family favorite sheet pan dinner, but fancy enough for a dinner party that will have everyone asking for the recipe.
- Chicken with Garlic Sauce and Caramelized Onions – mix it up with this easy chicken in garlic sauce. It’s low carb, and only takes 30 minutes to make.
- Incredible Chicken Wrap – add poultry seasoning when cooking chicken for this truly fabulous chicken wrap.
- Lemon Chicken – light flavorful and oh so juicy! It’s naturally gluten free, low calorie, and keto!
- Chicken in White Wine Sauce – is an easy chicken recipe that is so delicious, no one will ever guess it only takes 20 minutes to make!
How to Store Poultry Seasoning
Storing poultry seasoning could not be easier. Scoop dried herb mix into a clean jar and store in a cool dry place. I love using matching glass jars for my spices to keep my spice cabinet looking tidy and organized. These simple glass jars with gold lids are my favorites!
Your pantry or cupboard are perfect places to store herbs because they do best in a cool, dry and dark environment. It will keep for several months- if it lasts that long! However, the good news is that spices don’t really go bad- they just lose their potency as they age.
More Seasoning Recipes
- Allspice – since it is the season of baking all things pumpkin, I’ll mention this one first! You might be surprised that allspice is delicious not only in sweet dishes, but savory dishes as well!
- Mulling Spices – a spice mix for wine, coffee, syrup, and potpourri. You cannot go through the holiday season without it!
- Cajun Seasoning Mix – craving a bit of heat? Try this spice mix that gives a little kick to my creamy, comforting, cajun chicken pasta. It’s so easy, you can enjoy it even on a weeknight!
- Fajita Seasoning – another option with a little kick! This homemade fajita seasoning mix is the perfect addition to so many of your proteins that need a deep, spicy kick.
- Bread Dipping Spices – be transported to Italy and enjoy your artisan bread dipped in olive oil and spices for the perfect appetizer for your Italian meal!
- Taco Seasoning – This is a delicious blend of not-too-spicy seasonings that can be added to ground beef, chicken, steak and more. It’s the perfect way to enjoy Taco Tuesday!
- Cinnamon Sugar – be ready to top your toast, cinnamon rolls, coffee, and anything else, with this amazing mixture of cinnamon and sugar!
Homemade Poultry Seasoning Recipe
This homemade poultry seasoning blend will bring your chicken dishes to the next level.
- 2 teaspoons sage
- 3/4 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool and dark cupboard.
- Check that your spices aren’t stale before making the mix.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry and dark place.
- If you’d like to add a little more flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika.
- Mix with a little oil to make a marinade, use it as a dry rub or simply stir it into your meal while cooking.