This Peppermint White Russian recipe is the most delightful peppermint drink to enjoy around the holidays! It’s such an easy, special way to create a cocktail that speaks to the season.
The coffee liqueur, vodka, and half and half compliment the zingy peppermint schnapps to make a festive and delicious peppermint cocktail.
The White Russian cocktail is a classic drink that had its moment of fame in one of my husband’s favorite movies, The Big Lebowski. So why not make it a little more festive for the holidays?
This peppermint drink becomes your own festive holiday version of that classic, simply by adding peppermint flavor and a rim of crushed peppermint to an old fashioned glass.
I love peppermint so much that I’ve created a complete guide to all my best Peppermint Recipes! It’s free, and such a handy tool to keep on hand for the season.
Speaking of recipe round ups, don’t skip this amazing guide to Christmas Cocktails, too! Of course this Peppermint White Russian is included, but there are so many fun options to consider for your Christmas parties.
This recipe is easy to convert for serving a crowd, and I just know you’re going to love it. It’s perfect for all your holiday entertaining!
Why You’ll Love this Peppermint White Russian
- Easy to Make
- Tastes like Christmas
- Great for Holiday Parties
- Just Four Ingredients + Garnish
- Make One or Serve a Crowd
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Coffee liqueur is thick and sweet with a distinct coffee flavor. The two most popular varieties of coffee liqueur include Kahlua and Tia Maria, but there are many different varieties available.
- Vodka is a clear, distilled alcoholic beverage that is a staple in every bar and liquor cabinet
- Peppermint Schnapps is made from a combination of pure grain alcohol and peppermint leaves. It is a liqueur which has a taste somewhat similar to that of a candy cane.
- Half and Half provides a creamy texture in my White Russian, with less calories than heavy cream or a coffee creamer. Don’t have half and half? You can substitute with milk!
- Whipped Cream is a fun garnish to add when serving the Peppermint White Russian. Click here for my homemade whipped cream recipe.
- Crushed peppermint is a staple in my pantry this time of year. Crushed candy canes work well! Use crushed peppermint as a garnish on top of whipped cream. Enjoy a festive look by rimming the glasses with crushed peppermint.
- Simple Syrup is ideal to use when rimming your glasses. It is a clear and sticky and sweet! It only takes 5 minutes to make a batch of this homemade cocktail ingredient using my simple syrup recipe, but you can also buy it premade.
Fun fact: If you choose to omit the half and half, cream or milk, you’ve made a Black Russian cocktail!
How to Make a Peppermint White Russian
- Start making your Peppermint White Russian by rimming your glass. An old fashioned or highball glass works well.
- Using two small plates, pour simple syrup onto one and crushed candy canes on the other. First, dip the rim of your glass in the simple syrup, and second, into the crushed peppermint.
- Fill your glass with ice.
- In a shaker (or in each individual glass), combine coffee liqueur, vodka and peppermint schnapps. Stir or shake well. Top with a splash of half and half.
- Garnish with whipped cream and crushed candy canes as you desire.
- Peppermint White Russians are a perfect signature cocktail for a party. I always like to serve in a pretty pitcher (depending on your crowd, always have a back up pitcher in the fridge, too!).
- I love preparing the rim of my glasses before guests arrive, and placing them in the bar area near the cocktail pitcher so I am fully prepared!
- Place your ice bucket nearby and guests will serve themselves.
- Crushed Ice – Sometimes, it’s the little things. While crushed ice is not necessary for a margarita, it really makes such a difference! Check out our favorite nugget ice maker.
- Want a creamier cocktail? Simply add more half and half to your heart’s content. There are no rules here!
- It’s so easy to make this recipe in larger quantities for a crowd. Simply use the +yield– tool included in the printable recipe card to scale it for a pitcher!
Scaling up, down or substituting? You’ll love this printable Measurement Conversion Chart!
- Combine the coffee liqueur, vodka and schnapps up to 48 hours ahead of time, store in the refrigerator, and simply stir together with half and half when you’re ready to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
Because of the preservative factor of the additional alcohol in these bottles, they do not need to be refrigerated after opening. Store in a cool, dark place for maximum life span.
A White Russian will remind you of your favorite iced coffee drink, but with an enhanced kick from alcohol! This peppermint version tastes like the holidays.
What to Do with Leftovers
- Freeze and turn them into a Slushie the next day!
How to Store
- At Room Temperature – For up to two hours before and after serving.
- Refrigerate – Store these Peppermint White Russians in the fridge for up to 48 hours after serving. Be sure to store in an airtight container.
- Freeze – To turn these White Russians into a frozen slush!
- Gluten Free
- Nut Free
As always, I’d love to hear from you. Are you as excited for fresh peppermint drinks for the holidays as I am?
Hungry for more easy recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club and have amazing recipes delivered directly to your inbox each week!
- 1½ tablespoons coffee liqueur (.75 ounces)
- 1½ tablespoons vodka (.75 ounces)
- 1½ tablespoons peppermint schnapps (.75 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon half and half + more, to taste
- Pour simple syrup into a shallow dish or bowl, and crushed peppermints or candy canes into a second bowl.
- Dip rim of your glass into simple syrup and then into crushed peppermint.
- Add ice to rimmed glasses.
- In an individual glass over the ice, mix the first three ingredients and stir. Add your splash of cream at the end.
- Garnish and serve accordingly.
- To finish off your cocktail, top with a dollop of whipped cream and a candy cane for garnish.
- You can also mix these ingredients in a shaker and pour over ice! Simply reserve half and half for a splash at the end.
- It’s so easy to make this recipe for a crowd! Simply use the +- yield tab in this recipe card to scale it for a pitcher!
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.