Incredibly easy Tortellacci recipe – inspired by Maggiano’s.
After a year plus hiatus at Maggiano’s, I was sad to discover that they discontinued their tortellacci! It was so good that I never tried another dish. I tend to be a creature of habit and this time, it backfired. Fortunately, I’m also in love with their salad!
Still, I went home with the craving I came with, so, my family suffered through pasta twice in one day to satisfy my craving and I was off to the grocery store to recreate Maggiano’s Tortellacci recipe! It’s not only incredible, but a quick and easy 15 minute dinner!
Even with my 10 minute recipes, I try to create a “balanced” meal, so I incorporated wilted greens which adds a lot of great flavor!
What is Tortellacci?
Tortellacci is a stuffed noodle, often with ricotta and sometimes spinach in a tortellini shape to prevent the filling from leaking into the pasta water while cooking. Essentially a sheet of pasta folded around cheese, vegetables, meat or seasoning. What’s the difference between tortellacci and tortellini? Size! Tortellini tend to be smaller.
I try to address any questions you may have. If you want to skip my tips and tricks, you can scroll down to the printable recipe below.
Just a few ingredients add incredible flavor to this simple dish!
- tortellini – the cheese filled star of the show! The secret to making it quick and easy is purchasing tortellini in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. You won’t know the difference!
- a hint of truffle oil – white or black truffle oil, usually found with other oils or the specialty department at your grocer
- fresh chopped shallot – adds irresistible flavor
- salty prosciutto – balances this dish and adds a bit of protein
- heavy cream – you can substitute whole, vitamin D milk or half and half in a pinch
- white wine – white cooking wine will do, or your favorite dry white wine. Any excuse to have a glass, too!
- asiago cheese – fresh shredded is always best and worth the 3 minutes effort!
- arugula – the perfect compliment to this dish
How to Make Maggiano’s Tortellacci
- Boil the pasta according to instructions.
- Sauté butter, shallot and prosciutto.
- Add cream and reduce.
- Add wine, truffle oil, and asiago. Stir.
- Add arugula and to reduce for a few minutes.
- Drain tortellini and toss with sauce!
- Replace prosciutto with pancetta, bacon or baked chicken.
- Substitute spinach for arugula.
More meals to love in 15 minutes or less:
- Juicy Sliders
- Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Light and Easy Pasta Salad Recipe | Bow Tie Pasta Salad
- Chicken Nachos
Do you have a favorite dish at Maggiano’s I should try?
Easy Tortellaci Recipe:
Maggiano's Tortellacci Recipe | 15 Minute Dinner
A copycat recipe of Maggiano's tortellacci recipe - in just 15 minutes! A filling, flavorful pasta dish that you'll make again and again!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 shallot chopped
- 1/2 c chopped proscuitto
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/2 c white wine
- 1 tsp truffle oil
- 8 oz asiago cheese shredded
- 2 c arugula
- 20 oz refrigerated cheese tortellini
- In a large pot over medium high heat, boil water & add tortellini.
- In the meantime, in a saucepan over medium, add butter, shallot & proscuitto. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add heavy cream & reduce to medium low. Allow to reduce for 5 minutes. Add wine, truffle oil, & asiago. Stir well.
- Add arugula, allow to reduce for a few minutes.
- Drain tortellini & toss with sauce.
The secret to making it quick and easy is purchasing tortellini in the refrigerated section of your grocery store. You won’t know the difference!