Classic St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake with a twist – this easy Gooey Butter Cake with Brown Butter has a deeper, richer flavor that you’ll crave again and again!
Yep! You read that right. I love everything browned butter & when we had guests coming over a couple weeks ago, I decided to adapt my traditional St. Louis gooey butter cake recipe. While that version can be a breakfast danish or dessert, gooey browned butter cake is definitely dessert, so go ahead & serve it al a mode if you want to go all out. If you can find caramel ice cream – even better.
The last couple weeks, we’ve been celebrating with friends & saying goodbye as we are preparing to move to St. Louis. My girlfriends & I went to a new restaurant in Kansas City, Newport Grill. When it was time for dessert, I immediately eliminated the browned butter cake from my options.
I’m not a huge fan of traditional cake & certainly don’t want pass up an incredible dessert opportunity for it. When friend ordered it & I tasted it, I immediately knew it was not traditional cake. It was gooey browned butter cake & I had to have it for myself. This is not an exact adaptation of it, but a great balance to prevent it from being too sweet.
You can learn how to brown butter with step by step photos and video here.
Gooey Butter Cake with Brown Butter Printable Recipe:
Gooey Butter Cake with Brown Butter
- 1 box golden butter recipe yellow cake mix
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees & grease a 9x9 pan.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, watching carefully, brown the butter until it's a beautiful brown & has a nutty aroma. Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter & cake mix. Add eggs.
- Using a spatula, press dough into pan, creating a slight edge along the sides.
- Combine cream cheese, sugars, vanilla & egg until smooth. Pour mixture into dough.
- Garnish with powdered sugar & bake 40-45 minutes.
Serve al a mode of you want to go all out!