Easy Tomato Soup Ingredients
- Olive Oil – A light, fruity olive oil offers a great base for this homemade tomato soup recipe. My favorite is California Olive Oil.
- Onions – Two medium size onions provide so much savory flavor and compliment the tomatoes well. I prefer yellow onions, but if you’re in a pinch, red onions can be substituted if that is all you have on hand. The tomato soup recipe may just taste a bit sweeter.
- Garlic – It wouldn’t be soup without some garlic. Three cloves should give you about 1 Tablespoon minced.
- Chicken Stock – Your favorite store-bought chicken stock is best. I prefer to purchase low-sodium to control the amount of salt in the easy tomato soup recipe. You will only need 2 cups, so be sure to store the remaining chicken stock in your fridge and use within one week.
- Canned Crushed Tomatoes – You can’t have tomato soup without tomatoes, so make sure to purchase a high-quality brand. I love the flavor of Organic Muir Glen Crushed Tomatoes, which come with the added bonus of basil. Three 28-oz cans will be enough for this recipe. We’ll get in to using fresh tomatoes in a bit.
- Salt and Pepper – Freshly cracked sea salt and black pepper provide exceptional flavor. Season to taste as you make the soup.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – A touch of cream is all you need to tranform this into a creamy tomato soup. Heavy whipping cream is so rich and luscious, a little goes a long way.
- Fresh Basil – The garnish of fresh basil at the very end takes this easy tomato soup over the top. There is just something about tomato and basil that is absolutely divine!
How To Make Easy Tomato Soup
- In a large pot over medium-low, warm the olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and a pinch of salt and allow to sweat for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, canned tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and whisk in cream.
- Ladle into individual soup cocottes and garnish with fresh basil.
To see how easy this Tomato Soup Recipe is, watch the video below.
An Easy Tomato Soup Recipe with Fresh Tomatoes
If you are making this easy tomato soup recipe during the summer months, when tomatoes are in peak season, you can certainly use fresh tomatoes! You will need 8-10 medium size tomatoes, chopped with their juice, to get the equivalent of 3 28-oz cans.
For even more flavor, fresh heirloom tomatoes in a variety of colors would make a beautiful presentation! Serve chilled for best results.
How To Serve The Homemade Soup
This easy tomato soup recipe makes an incredible weeknight dinner, but it’s also great for entertaining since you can quickly serve a large crowd by doubling or tripling the recipe. I love serving soup in these individual cocottes which go straight from refrigerator or freezer to oven to table!
Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Oh, and grilled cheeses? They’re made for dipping. You’ll love my grilled cheese with bacon jam, the best grilled cheese recipe, grilled cheese on the grill, or gourmet grilled cheese recipe to pair it with.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love:
If you try this Easy Tomato Soup recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too! For more easy recipes and simple living ideas, subscribe to my newsletter!
Easy Tomato Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 c chicken stock
- 3- 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- fresh basil for garnish
- Warm olive oil in a large pot on medium-low and add chopped onions and garlic.
- Allow to cook 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to low and cover with lid for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and whisk in cream.
- Garnish with fresh basil