Ah, fall is almost here, but from the change in the weather to the posts on Instagram, it feels as if it has arrived. Hints of it can be found in our home, especially in the kitchen. I’ve been cooking & baking with my fall favorites, including butternut squash. I’ve always appreciated butternut squash for it’s beauty & it’s flavor. It’s graced several of my table settings & decorated a few of our homes. I love anything versatile, so it should come as no surprise that a vegetable I can use to decorate my table one day, will become dinner the next. Flowers can’t do that.
This recipe is a combination of a few of my fall favorite pasta recipes, including butternut squash ravioli. It’s unbelievably filling!
Browned Butter Butternut Squash Pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 butternut squash large, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan or pecorino
- pepper to taste
- 1 pound pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the butternut squash. Cook for 15 minutes, remove, and put it in a food processor. Add pasta noodles to boiling water.
- Meanwhile, brown butter over medium heat in a saucepan until amber in color and it has a nutty scent. Add sage leaves, walnuts, and garlic. Remove from heat after 30 seconds.
- Remove sage leaves and place on paper towels to dry.
- In a food processor, puree squash. Add to butter the puree mixture and stir well. Add fresh cracked pepper.
- Toss the butternut squash sauce with the pasta, and top with fresh parmesan and sage leaves.