The best Sour Cream Dip that is delicious, mild in flavor and always a crowd pleaser. It’s the ultimate sour cream dip recipe for game day, summer get togethers and beyond! It makes a great vegetable dip or a sour cream chip dip!
Skip the mix and make this incredible Sour Cream Dip! It’s quick and easy and requires just 3 simple ingredients! This easy recipe makes a delicious sour cream chip dip or vegetable dip. However you enjoy it, it’s sure to become a staple at your gatherings!
With just one bite you’ll ditch store bought dips forever! It requires very minimal effort and is so much better fresh! The classic soup mix dip is actually almost as quick and easy to make from scratch! Doing so gives it amazing fresh flavor that will have everyone begging for the recipe.
This Sour Cream Dip features flavorful, fragrant sautéed onions, blended into creamy sour cream with a hint of salt. This onion dip is mild in comparison to Pan Fried Onion Dip, which makes it a crowd pleaser.
Sour cream makes a great base for dips because it’s smooth and creamy with a slight tangy flavor that everyone craves.
As you may or may not know, I started my career as an event planner. I was even named Better Homes and Gardens Best Entertaining blog! One of the things I always pride myself on is food that looks as beautiful as it tastes.
This is neutral in color which makes it beautiful to present among an array of appetizers when entertaining. This dip lends itself to every occasion. Baby showers, Memorial Day, Labor Day, 4th of July, game day and everything in between!
It’s flavor profile plays well with almost everything. Because you can make it in advance and it’s easy to transport, it’s a great recipe to make and take to potlucks, too!
If you want to really take it up a notch, you can display it in a hollowed out bread bowl, hollowed cabbage, pepper or squash. The options are endless! As you can see, I mix and match a platter with a standard cereal or soup bowl to create a chip and dip platter.
I receive a lot of questions on my recipes so I try to be thorough, however you want to skip my tips and suggestions you can always click on the jump to recipe button to print the recipe.
Sour Cream Dip Ingredients
With just 3 ingredients, this sour cream dip is a breeze to make!
- Oil – a neutral oil like canola or grape seed is preferred, but you can also use olive oil or vegetable oil. Whatever you have on hand.
- Onion – white onion is preferred, but you can also use yellow.
- Salt – a hint of salt brings out the flavors in this sour cream dip.
- Chives – optional garnish that adds a hint of flavor and beautiful color.
How to Make Sour Cream Dip
- In a skillet, warm oil on medium-high.
- Add onion and salt. Sauté 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir onion into sour cream.
- Refrigerate and allow to marinate before serving.
- Garnish with green onion or chives.
Tips for Making Sour Cream Dip
- Allow it to marinate for up to 24 hours for the best flavor, but it can be served immediately.
- This dip keeps well refrigerated for up to 5 days covered. Never freeze sour cream.
- You can spice it up by adding pepper or red pepper.
- Never leave sour cream at room temperature more than 2 hours.
This can be enjoyed as a sour cream chip dip or as a crowd pleasing vegetable dip. The choice is yours! If serving as a vegetable dip, these are the best veggies to go with dip:
- bell peppers – green, yellow, red and orange
- cherry tomatoes
- snow peas / snap peas
- green beans
Enjoying this dip with vegetables also makes it keto friendly! Yay for keto sour cream dip!
If you make this Vegetable Dip / Chip Dip, don’t forget to return to leave a 5 star review! I love hearing from you!
More Easy Dip Recipes
- Mexican Layer Dip
- Easy Homemade Hummus
- Chipotle Aioli
- Spinach Dip with Cream Cheese
- Irresistible Veggie Dip Recipe
- Queso Blanco White Queso Dip
- Cream Cheese Bean Dip
- Garlic Aioli
- Caramelized Shallot Dip
- Dill Dip
- The Best Boursin Cheese
- Easy Pimento Cheese Recipe
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 white onion minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chives Optional Garnish (green onion works well too)
- Warm oil in a skillet on medium-high.
- Add onion and salt, sauté and stir for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, fold onion into sour cream.
- Refrigerate covered 24 hours before serving.
- Optional: garnish with fresh chives or green onion.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.