This easy sweet and salty pretzel pie crust recipe is the perfect base for all of your desserts. Made with just 3 ingredients, it’s quick to prep and ready to use in 15 minutes.
My sweet and salty sharing continues with this easy pretzel crust recipe – perfect for pies and frankly, any and all desserts!
Traditional pie crust has never really excited me. I know, I know. I tend to skip to the good stuff and just eat the filling. So, I prefer to make my pies in a shortbread cookie crust or a pretzel crust. You really can’t go wrong either way.
Sure, I enjoy a graham cracker crust or even Oreo cookie crust, but the mix of sugar, butter and salty pretzels makes any pie filling taste out of this world good.
This pretzel pie crust recipe takes just 5 minutes hands on time and 10 minutes to bake. Perfect for last minute entertaining. Or cravings.
Pretzel Pie Crust Ingredients
- Pretzels – The pretzels add such a great texture to the crust, not to mention the saltiness that works so well with so many desserts. This pie crust will even work with gluten-free pretzels if you have a sensitivity.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is preferred when using salted pretzels.
- Brown Sugar – Brown sugar contains molasses which gives the crust a deeper and richer flavor compared to white sugar. You can substitute white sugar if in a pinch.
How To Make Pretzel Pie Crust Recipe
- Prep – Pre heat oven. Crush the pretzels in a food processor and melt butter in a small dish.
- Combine – Fold the pretzels into the melted butter and stir in the brown sugar.
- Fill – Press into a pie dish.
- Bake – Bake for 10 minutes until set.
What Are The Best Pretzels To Use?
For this sweet and salty pie crust, you need to use salted pretzels. I like to use the smaller pretzels as they are easy to break up and they have a good ratio of salt to pretzel.
Do You Need To Grease The Pie Dish?
There’s a good amount of butter in this crust so you shouldn’t need to grease the dish, I find it comes out pretty easily. You can grease the dish if you like, but you should use cooking spray or an oil rather than butter.
Do You Have To Bake A Pretzel Crust?
I prefer to blind bake the crust, not only does it make it more sturdy for filling and serving but it really adds another level of flavor to it. The brown sugar caramelizes and adds a wonderful rich and toasty flavor.
If you prefer not to turn the oven on, you can freeze it for 10 minutes to help it firm up, but do bake it if you are able.
What Pies Work With A Pretzel Crust?
The sweet and slaty flavors of this pretzel crust work with so many pies. It’s perfect with my easy chocolate pie but it’s great with all of your favorite fillings. Try it with:
How To Store
- Refrigerate – This pretzel pie crust can be stored baked or unbaked in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze – Wrap the cooled crust in foil and place in a freezer bag. It will keep well for up to two months.
If you try this recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!
Pretzel Pie Crust Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups pretzels
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crush pretzels until fine in a food processor.
- Melt butter. Fold pretzels in.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Press into pie dish with a spoon, pushing the base of the crust to create a slight wall.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Pretzels – Make it gluten-free using gluten-free pretzels.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is preferred when using salted pretzels, but you can use salted butter if needed.
- Brown Sugar – You can substitute white sugar if in a pinch.
How To Store
- Refrigerate: This pretzel pie crust can be stored baked or unbaked in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: Wrap the cooled crust in foil and place in a freezer bag. It will keep well for up to two months.