This easy Chocolate Pie Recipe with Pretzel Crust is the perfect duo! The simplicity of the chocolate pie filling with the salty pretzel crust is incredible! Make it ahead and place it in the fridge or freezer to enjoy with family and friends at your next party or holiday gathering.
By now I’m sure you have discovered that I’m a fan of all things simple. And a chocolate dessert recipe is certainly one of them.
I first got the inspiration for this easy pie recipe while enjoying chocolate covered pretzels with my kids. I started playing around in the kitchen and realized all you need are a few simple ingredients to reach sweet and salty heaven.
A 3 ingredient crust and 2 ingredient filling make this chocolate pie as easy as, well, pie!
Table of Contents
Chocolate Pie Recipe Ingredients
- Pretzels – I like to use the mini twists to make the pretzel crust. Since they are mini, all you need to do is pour them into the bowl of your food processor and let it do all the work!
- Butter – I prefer to use unsalted since the pretzels have so much salt already.
- Brown Sugar – The brown sugar adds a sweet, rich molasses flavor to the crust. Make sure to pack it in to the measuring cup to get the right amount. If your brown sugar is a bit too hard to work with, scoop some on to a plate and pop it in the microwave for about 10 seconds – it will soften right up.
- Chocolate – Use chocolate melting wafers for the silkiest pie filling. Chocolate chips contain stabilizers that don’t melt as smooth.
- Heavy Cream – For a creamy, rich, velvety pie texture. Use organic, if possible.
How to Make the Chocolate Pie Recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Crush pretzels until fine in a food processor.
Melt butter and fold pretzels in.
Stir in brown sugar.
Press the crust into pie dish with a spoon, pushing the base of the crust to create a slight wall.
Bake 10 minutes.
Bring cream to boil in a small saucepan.
Pour chocolate wafers into a bowl and cover with heavy cream. Whisk until smooth.
Pour chocolate mixture into pie crust and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Do You Refrigerate the Pretzel Crust Pie?
Yes! You’ll need to refrigerate the chocolate pie recipe before and after serving.
Before serving, refrigerate the pie for at least 4 hours, and up to overnight. This makes it a great make ahead dessert for parties and holiday gatherings.
After serving, cover the pie dish with plastic wrap, directly touching the chocolate pie filling, and refrigerate. The chocolate pie will keep for 3-4 days. Remove from the fridge at least 10 minutes before serving to take the chill off.
Can You Freeze this Sweet and Salty Dessert?
Yes! Yet another reason why this chocolate pie recipe makes a perfect make ahead dessert. To freeze the pie properly, wrap the entire dish in plastic wrap, twice, making sure the plastic wrap is directly touching the chocolate pie filling.
Remove from the freezer and transfer to the fridge 24 hours before serving.
Tips for the Best Chocolate Pie Recipe with Pretzel Crust
- If you don’t have a food processor, put the pretzels in a Ziplock bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Take the extra time to press the crust firmly into the pie dish to create edges.
- For an extra special touch, make a pattern in the just poured over chocolate filling with a knife or fork.
- Looking for a shortcut? Replace the pretzel crust in the chocolate pie recipe with prepackaged graham cracker crumbs. You won’t get that sweet and salty combo, but it will still be delicious!
More Chocolate Recipes You’ll Love:
- Classic Chocolate Fudge Recipe
- Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Easy Chocolate Peanut Clusters Recipe
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- Chocolate Turtle Cookies
- Better Than the Box Chocolate Pudding
If you try this easy chocolate pie recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too! For more easy recipes and simple living ideas, subscribe to my newsletter!
Easy Chocolate Pie Recipe with Pretzel Crust
- 2 1/2 c pretzels
- 13 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 c brown sugar packed
- 8 oz chocolate wafers
- 1 c heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Crush pretzels until fine in a food processor.
- Melt butter and fold pretzels in.
- Stir in brown sugar.
- Press into pie dish with a spoon, pushing the base of the crust to create a slight wall.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring cream to a boil.
- Pour chocolate wafers into a bowl and cover with heavy cream. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into pie crust and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.