Warm up this fall and winter with a cocktail you’ll never forget! An Old Fashioned made with apple butter! It’s full of apple cinnamon flavor you’re going to love. It’s easy to make and easy to sip!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I receive a small commission at no cost to you!
For Thanksgiving, we went to one of our favorite destinations in Missouri, Top of the Rock. As I sat down, the server placed a cocktail menu in front of me.
Normally I’d set it aside in favor of the wine menu, but this was a special occasion and something caught my eye.
The first listed ingredient was APPLE BUTTER. Apple butter in a cocktail? I wasn’t sure about apple butter in a cocktail and had never been a big fan of bourbon, but in favor of trying something different, I tried and LOVED it!
Who knew an Old Fashioned made with apple butter would become my favorite fall and winter cocktail that’s now a staple for trick or treating, Thanksgiving and Christmas? It’s the perfect blend with bourbon and I know you’ll love it, too!
Table of Contents
What is an Old Fashioned?
It’s such a great cocktail that warm your heart and soul. It’s easy to drink and goes down like – butter! An old fashioned is a warming combination of traditional bourbon, bitters and a little club soda.
Apple butter is a concentrated (and delicious) form of apple sauce that is made by slow cooking apples with cider until the sugars caramelize.
It’s such a delicious addition to this traditional old fashioned cocktail.
A few days later our friends visited us at the lake and requested to go to Top of the Rock. I tried to order a Cinnamon Apple Old Fashioned, but to no avail.
It was a limited offering. Fortunately, I had pressed the server days before for the recipe so we (and you) could enjoy it at home.
Old Fashioned Apple Cocktail Ingredients
An Old Fashioned is traditionally made with bourbon, bitters, simple syrup, club soda, orange and a maraschino cherry.
To update this classic cocktail for fall and winter, I’ve added apple butter and a cinnamon stick in lieu of an orange and cherry.
- Apple butter – It’s easy to make your own, but we love several store bought versions too.
- Bourbon – Read below for details on our favorite Bourbon brands!
- Bitters – to add another layer of flavor to your old-fashioned (read more below).
- Ice – crushed ice is ideal here.
- Cinnamon stick – to add fragrance and a charming stir stick and garnish.
- Club soda – to cut the sweet from the apple butter.
- Sweeten your cocktail with a touch of homemade simple syrup.
How To Make an Old Fashioned
- Combine – Add all of your ingredients (apple butter, bourbon, bitters, ice, and cinnamon stick) into a cocktail shaker.
- Serve – Pour into an old-fashioned glass, add a splash of club soda, and garnish with an apple slice and cinnamon stick.
How to Garnish an Old Fashioned with Apple Butter
- Star of Anise
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Fresh oranges
- Dried orange peels
- Sliced Apples
- Sweeten the rim with my Cinnamon Sugar blend.
Bitters have been described as the salt and pepper of a cocktail like an old-fashioned. It is an alcoholic preparation flavored with natural herbs and spices. Adding bitters to a cocktail helps round out the drink, enhancing the flavors and ingredients. Therefore, its an ingredient you don’t want to skip or miss, just as you wouldn’t want to forget the pepper on your entrée.
We love Maker’s Mark, Bulleit, Four Roses and Basil Hayden’s for This Apple Butter old fashioned recipe.
- You can use 2-3 ounces of bourbon (or more) to your preference. I tend to like mine strong, so I use 3 ounces. It helps warm the drink and balance the sweet flavors of apple butter.
- I like to serve my apple butter old fashioned in oversized glasses or mugs for easy sipping.
- Want to double or even triple the recipe? Use the 1x2x3x tab on the printable recipe card to do all the calculations for you!
Are you loving the fall flavor of apple everything as much as we are? You need to check out my detailed apple baking guide– it’s full of tips, tricks and the BEST apple treats!
I still can’t get over how easy it is to make a cocktail this good! The warm and cozy feeling it creates makes me crave it every year around the holidays. I hope this apple cinnamon flavored Old Fashioned warms your heart for the holidays, too.
Do you have a favorite cocktail? I’d love to know your favorite sips!
More Seasonal Cocktails
Cold weather and the holidays make the perfect excuse to pull out all your favorite fall cocktail recipes. Here are some more to add to your list this season!
Apple Butter Old Fashioned
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 6 drops bitters
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- club soda
- Combine apple butter, bourbon, bitters, ice, and cinnamon stick in a shaker. Shake well.
- Pour into glass and add a splash of club soda. Garnish with an apple slice.
Originally posted December 16, 2016, updated October 29, 2018