Warm up this fall and winter with a cocktail you’ll never forget! This is an apple butter old fashioned that sings with the flavors of fall.
It’s full of apple cinnamon flavor you’re going to love. It’s easy to make and so easy to sip, too!
For Thanksgiving, we went to one of our favorite destinations in Missouri, Top of the Rock. As I sat down, the server placed a cocktail menu in front of me.
Normally I’d set it aside in favor of the wine menu, but this was a special occasion and something caught my eye.
The first listed ingredient was APPLE BUTTER. Apple butter in a cocktail? I wasn’t sure about apple butter in a cocktail and had never been a big fan of bourbon, but in favor of trying something different, I tried and loved it!
Who knew an old fashioned made with apple butter would become one of my favorite fall and winter cocktails? It’s now a staple for trick or treating, Thanksgiving and Christmas. It’s the perfect blend with bourbon and I know you’ll love it, too!
Apple Butter Old Fashioned
An Old Fashioned is traditionally made with bourbon, bitters, simple syrup, club soda, orange and a maraschino cherry.
To update this classic cocktail for fall and winter, I’ve added apple butter and a cinnamon stick in lieu of an orange and cherry.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Apple butter – It’s easy to make your own, but we love several store bought versions too.
- Bourbon – Read below for details on our favorite Bourbon brands!
- Bitters – To add another layer of flavor to your old-fashioned (read more below).
- Club soda – to cut the sweet from the apple butter.
- Ice – Crushed ice is ideal here.
- Cinnamon stick – to add fragrance and a charming stir stick and garnish.
- Sweeten your cocktail with a touch of homemade simple syrup.
How To Make
- Combine – Add all of your ingredients (apple butter, bourbon, bitters, ice, and cinnamon stick) into a cocktail shaker.
- Serve – Pour into an old-fashioned glass, add a splash of club soda, and garnish with an apple slice and cinnamon stick.
How to Garnish
- Star of Anise
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Fresh oranges
- Dried orange peels
- Sliced Apples
- Sweeten the rim with my Cinnamon Sugar blend.
- You can use 2-3 ounces of bourbon (or more) to your preference. I tend to like mine strong, so I use 3 ounces. It helps warm the drink and balance the sweet flavors of apple butter.
- I like to serve my apple butter old fashioned in oversized glasses or mugs for easy sipping.
- Want to double or even triple the recipe? Use the yield tab on the printable recipe card to do all the calculations for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
Bitters have been described as the salt and pepper of a cocktail like an old-fashioned. It is an alcoholic preparation flavored with natural herbs and spices.
Adding bitters to a cocktail helps round out the drink, enhancing the flavors and ingredients. Therefore, its an ingredient you don’t want to skip or miss, just as you wouldn’t want to forget the pepper on your entrée.
We love Maker’s Mark, Bulleit, Four Roses and Basil Hayden’s for This Apple Butter old fashioned recipe.
I hope this apple cinnamon old fashioned warms your heart for the holidays, too.
Do you have a favorite cocktail? I’d love to know your favorite sips!
Apple Butter Old Fashioned
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 2 ounces Bourbon
- 6 drops bitters
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- club soda
- Combine apple butter, bourbon, bitters, ice, and cinnamon stick in a shaker. Shake well.
- Pour into glass and add a splash of club soda. Garnish with an apple slice.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.
Originally posted December 16, 2016, updated October 29, 2018