This is a light and refreshing cherry tomato pasta that comes together in minutes. This recipe has it all – and it’s beautifully balance with a little heat in every burst of sweet cherry tomatoes.
This is a perfect summertime pasta dinner. When cherry tomatoes are in season, they are perfectly juicy, sweet and inexpensive, too!
My passion for pasta knows no boundaries. It’s an endless love affair! Every time I think I’ve consumed too much, my taste buds beg for more.
Beyond my love for classic pasta dishes, I also enjoy the challenge of adding whatever fresh ingredients I happen to have in the fridge.
Sneaking a few of my favorite sweet cherry tomatoes into my weekly pasta intake? That’s how I know I’ve found the perfect balance in my life! This is truly a cherry tomato pasta meal that you’re going to crave.
Cherry Tomato Pasta
When it comes to our weekly pasta tradition, simple is simply the best! This easy cherry tomato pasta is made with a short list of ingredients. You’ll need to make quality choices because the simplified sauce means every ingredient will shine!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Cherry Tomatoes – You can also use grape tomatoes in this recipe.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted, your preference. We like salted butter here because it eliminates the need to add more salt at the end!
- Red Pepper Flakes – Adds a little heat to this simple dish.
- Tomato Sauce – Use your favorite canned tomato sauce. We love San Marzano tomatoes (read more about our San Marzano tomato sauce here) but you can use any kind of tomato sauce for this recipe.
- Fresh Mint – Offers fresh, summer flavor. No mint? No problem. Substitute with fresh basil.
- Ricotta Cheese – Add a dollop for a nice creamy texture.
- Add protein – This pairs really well with my juicy baked chicken breast which is equally quick and easy to make. Italian sausage, bacon, or guanicale are also a good protein addition!
- Substitute with rice or gnocchi – If you’re not a fan of traditional pasta, this cherry tomato sauce also works well with rice and gnocchi.
- Blistered Tomatoes are a great way to switch things up!
How To Make Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Prepare Pasta – Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare noodles. (Get all my secrets for delicious homemade pasta right here!)
- Make Tomato Sauce – Meanwhile, in a large saucepan on medium heat, melt butter. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat to medium low while you finish cooking your pasta.
- Toss – Add noodles to your saucepan and toss.
- Garnish – Add a little pasta water to thin sauce if desired. Serve with a large dollop of ricotta cheese and fresh mint leaves.
- If you want to take this tomato pasta sauce over the top, use my homemade egg noodle recipe
- Never overcook your pasta. That perfect al dente texture is everything!
- Saving a little of your pasta water really makes a difference – it helps bring your sauce to the perfect consistency. The warm salted water is ideal!
- Want more protein? Add some chicken spiedini!
Frequently Asked Questions
While they can often be enjoyed interchangeably in recipes, there are differences in both shape, color and flavor. You can easily identify them by the fruits that they are named after, in fact!
Whereas grape tomatoes have a slightly more oval, longer shape, cherry tomatoes are quite round and petite. most grow to be a longer, oval shape.
My favorite (and fastest) way to cut cherry tomatoes is with a tomato knife! The serrated edge makes the perfect grip, and they won’t roll away as you chop.
Add your favorite protein, and don’t forget the sides!
How to Store
- Room Temperature – You can leave this cherry tomato pasta out at room temperature for up to two hours while serving.
- Refrigerator – Allow to cool and store refrigerated in an airtight container up to three days.
- Freezer – You can freeze this cherry tomato pasta! Pack it in an airtight container and freeze for up to three months safely.
- In a saucepan over low-medium heat on your stove, warm this pasta for 5-6 minutes until heated through.
- If you’d like to loosen the sauce, add a little vegetable or chicken broth to the pot as it warms. Serve with a fresh scoop of ricotta cheese and mint leaves.
Cherry Tomato Pasta
- 1 pound pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter salted or unsalted
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 30 cherry tomatoes halved
- 6 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 mint leaves chopped
- ½ cup ricotta
- Prepare pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water until al dente.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add crushed red pepper and sauté for 30 seconds. Add cherry tomatoes. Sauté about 2 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce and simmer on low for 2 minutes.
- Add half of the chopped mint leaves. Stir in and remove from heat.
- Toss sauce with strained pasta.
- Garnish with a dollop of ricotta and remaining mint.
Substitutions and Variations
- Cherry Tomatoes – Also known as grape tomatoes. Can substitute chopped tomatoes if you prefer.
- Butter – Salted or unsalted, your preference.
- Red Pepper Flakes – Can substitute pepperocino. Use more red pepper for additional heat.
- Mint – Substitute with fresh basil.
- Ricotta Cheese – Substitute with mascarpone or burrata.
- Pasta – Use your favorite shape or make homemade egg noodles.
- Prepare Al Dente – Never overcook your pasta.
To StoreRefrigerate – Allow to cool and store refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days. Top with fresh mint and ricotta.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.