Learn how easy it is to make your own copper garden signs with minimal supplies. Set these classic looking plant labels in your garden to better identify and organize your plants!
I get the gardening itch right after Easter. In the midwest, it’s the perfect time to start your seedlings indoors or even plant some hardier plants out of doors. Whether you’re planning to grow a flower garden, vegetable garden, herb garden, or just remember which species of plants you currently have in your yard, these DIY Garden Labels are the perfect markers to help you keep track!
You can create your own plant or garden markers in minutes. While I’m in the mood for Spring, the Kansas winter is lingering on & snow is still on the ground. I decided this would be a fun opportunity to create a gift for a great friend that her & her family can enjoy.
I love copper in my own botanical garden – it’s just gorgeous how it captures the light & weathers beautifully with time.
How Long Does it Take to Make Garden Signs
This project was surprisingly straightforward and quick. Hands on work only took about 10 minutes. However, it is important to factor a little extra time for the paint to thoroughly dry.
This would be a fun project to do with kids or friends!
How to Make Garden Labels
- Copper Grounding Wire
- Plastic Letters
- Spray Paint (I highly recommend Rustoleum Metallic in copper for a perfect match)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Wire Cutters
- Measuring Tape
- Plastic sheet or an Old Newspaper (optional if painting out of doors)
1. Spray paint your letters and allow them to dry.
2. Cut grounding wire into 1′ sections.
3. Straighten grounding wire.
4. Glue the letter to the wire.
- It took me two tries to get just the right match for true copper spray paint…be sure to use Rustoleum Metallic. Caps can be deceitful!
- This spray paint can be found at most hardware stores. If you’re in doubt, call the store ahead of time to save an extra trip.
- Plastic letters make great plastic plant labels as they do not rust, and weather the outdoors beautifully.
- These Garden Markers make great gifts!
These garden markers, or plant labels, make perfect gifts for the gardeners in your life! Copper is such a classic color that it will match almost any landscaping design.
I have paired the garden markers with adorable seed packets I found at a local store – aren’t they pretty? Wrap with a ribbon & they’re ready to gift! You can even check out this Every Gardener’s Dream Gift Basket.
Other Uses for Plant Markers
Labeling is one of the most important parts of organization. This holds true even in your garden. More uses for these handy plant markers include markings for your seed trays, nursery garden labels, replacing the tags from the nursery garden, and can even work for flower basket hanging tags.
More DIY Gardening Ideas
- How to Grow Meyer Lemon Trees – If you’ve ever dreamed of growing your own lemons, this post is for you! Get all the ins and outs of growing your own lemon tree!
- How to Arrange your Own Gardening Containers – Learn how to arrange beautiful flower pots and the best tips to keep them healthy all season long!
- How to Water Plants While on Vacation – An easy 5 minute trick, and you can keep your beautiful potted plants alive and well while you enjoy your vacation.
- 4 Easy Houseplants (you can’t kill) – These houseplants are so hardy and can go for long stretches without any care. Perfect for any busy household!
- Hanging Wall Planters Indoors – This post has been so popular! These adorable potted herbs make for the perfect indoor vertical garden right in your kitchen!
- How to Plant Spring Bulbs – Do you know when the best time is to plant bulbs for those beautiful spring flowers? Tulips, Hyacinths, and Daffodils are some of my favorites. Learn the best time to plant them and how to arrange those bulbs for a beautiful pop of color in the spring!
- How to Make Window Boxes – Another wildly popular post. I was so amazed at how easy it was to build these window box
Spring is near! Keep track of your home with Lowe’s. Receive personalized tips, special values & projects here. I’m proud to be a Lowe’s Creator as part of the Lowe’s Creative Ideas Network!
Subscribe, follow me on Bloglovin, Facebook & Instagram & pin with me on Pinterest!
DIY Garden Markers
- Hot Glue Gun
- copper grounding wire
- plastic letters
- spray paint highly recommend Rustoleum Metallic in copper for a perfect match
- Spray paint your letters and allow them to dry
- Cut grounding wire into 1' sections
- Straighten grounding wire
- Glue the letter to the wire