These four ingredient sweet and salty Butterscotch Squares come together in just minutes – literally! Get this incredible no bake Butterscotch Bars recipe for an indulgent treat that tastes like old-fashioned butterscotch candy.
Table of Contents
In my never-ending search to quench my sweet tooth cravings, I bring you another no bake treat! No bake desserts are always a hit because there’s just so little wait time!
It’s such a great feeling to pull together a few (in this case, only FOUR) ingredients to put together something delicious and fun. These butterscotch squares are perfectly sweet and salty – a satisfying way to indulge your craving for something yummy!
My girls love anything with marshmallows – that’s just a simple fact! It makes me wonder – do marshmallows make everything better?
During the holidays, we love to mix in some no bake treats like Rudolph Nose Dough Balls to save on oven space.
These quick and easy butterscotch squares are a simple concept that anyone can make. In fact, this is one of those treats that your kids will need very little help with in the kitchen. For my girls, there’s nothing better than the satisfaction of creating and eating something from scratch.
As they grow, they are getting more confident in the kitchen, and I’m so proud! Of course…what kid (or adult) can argue with the combination of peanut butter, butterscotch and marshmallows? Not this girl!
Butterscotch Candy Bars
Do you know the difference between caramel, toffee and butterscotch? There are subtle but significant differences that can create desserts with entirely different end results.
While each of these three sweet flavors is created with a delicious concoction of sugar and butter, caramel generally includes white granulated sugar, cream and vanilla flavorings for a creamy, delicate balance.
Butterscotch will have a slightly deeper flavor because it’s created with brown sugar instead of white (which means it contains molasses). A butterscotch dessert is richer and more flavor-focused for that reason!
Butterscotch and caramel are often used interchangeably, but butterscotch is probably best differentiated by the absence of milk or cream.
Toffee is generally considered to be butterscotch that is cooked for longer to create a sticky, rich sweet sauce that pairs beautifully with all kinds of old-fashioned butterscotch candy or butterscotch squares.
Get my favorite old-fashioned butterscotch sheet cake recipe for another butterscotch dessert you’re going to love!
No Bake Butterscotch Candy Ingredients
These butterscotch bars are made with just three simple ingredients. Yes, it’s true- you’re going to be amazed at how quickly these come together!
- Peanut Butter – I used creamy because that’s what I had on hand. However, you can also use crunchy peanut butter for a little added texture and crunch.
- Marshmallows – Mini sized marshmallows work best for this recipe.
- Butterscotch Chips – Found in the baking section with chocolate chips and the like, butterscotch chips have a distinctive flavor all their own!
- Butter – Salted or unsalted, your choice. I’m a fan of all things salty so I use salted butter in all my recipes.
The combination of butterscotch and peanut butter creates a creamy, rich buttery flavor that is going to get your taste buds singing!
How to Make Easy Butterscotch Bars
Like I said, these are so simple that your kids can easily handle it themselves with just a little supervision. You can melt the peanut butter and butterscotch chips in the microwave for an even safer method that doesn’t involve a traditional stove top!
For the full printable recipe, continue below.
- Line your pan with parchment paper for easy removal of the butterscotch squares. I love this gorgeous 8″ square gold cake pan, but you can use anything you have as these will easily form into any shape of pan.
- Melt – In a saucepan on your stove top, add peanut butter and butterscotch chips. Slowly melt over medium heat, stirring occasionally. You can also do this in the microwave in a medium microwave safe bowl. Melt with 30 second increments, stirring in between until completely melted.
- Pour into your baking pan. Allow melted mixture to cool slightly before folding in the marshmallows.
- Set – After the butterscotch dessert has cooled completely, cut into squares and enjoy!
Tips to Make Butterscotch Squares
- Use creamy peanut butter (avoid natural as sometimes the oils don’t blend well)
- Refrigerate until you’re ready to enjoy
- Allow to cool for a few minutes so you don’t melt your marshmallows
More No Bake Treats You’ll Love
I love a good no bake dessert! As much as we enjoy baking in this house, it’s so much fun to mix something together and enjoy a sweet treat in a flash. I think you’ll love these delicious no bake treats as well!
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (don’t skip these, they’re stuffed with Reese’s Pieces!)
- No Bake Granola Bars
- Lucky Charm Treats
- Leftover Halloween Candy Bars
- No Bake Fruit Pie (this is a lemon-lover’s dream come true)
- No Bake Cookie Butter Bars
- Easy No Bake Cheesecake Recipe
- No Bake Cookies
What’s your favorite no bake dessert? As you can see, we love them all! I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a butterscotch dessert or butterscotch candy that I didn’t love.
If you try these No Bake Butterscotch Squares, please come back to share using my five star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too! For more easy recipes and simple living ideas, subscribe to my newsletter.
Looking for more sweet treats? Don’t miss my easy Hot Chocolate Bomb recipe!
The Best Butterscotch Squares (No Bake Butterscotch Bars)
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups butterscotch chips 11 ounce bag
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- Line a 8×8 baking pan.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine butter, peanut butter and butterscotch chips stirring frequently. Alternatively combine in a bowl and microwave in 30 second increments, reducing to 15 second increments until melted and combined stirring between.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes.
- Fold in miniature marshmallows and pour into lined pan.
- Refrigerate 1+ hours before cutting into squares and serving.
Add in peanuts or candy coated chocolates like M&M’s, Peanut Butter M&M’s, or Reese’s Pieces.