These frosted lemon cookies are bursting with fresh citrus flavor! Easy and quick to make, they are the perfect Springtime treat that the whole family will love.
I love incorporating lemon into my baked goods during Spring and summer. It’s such a light and refreshing flavor and these cookies are no different!
These cookies are melt in your mouth delicious! They are wonderfully light and creamy with bursts of lemon in every bite. My only regret is that I didn’t double the recipe as I was asked for more as soon as the batch had disappeared!
The frosting on these cookies adds a wonderful hit of sweetness and makes these cookies melt-in-your-mouth delicious. You can, of course, enjoy these cookies without the frosting, but it’s so worth the little extra effort! Cookies are always better with frosting in my humble opinion!
Lemon Cookie Ingredients
- Butter – I like to use salted butter in this recipe, as the added salt really helps to bring out the flavors. If you use unsalted, you may want to add in a pinch of salt to the dough.
- Lemon Juice and Zest – Fresh is always best when it comes to lemon juice. It has the brightest flavors so skip the bottled stuff.
- Flour – All purpose. Plain and simple!
- Corn Starch – Corn Starch is a thickening agent and makes these cookies wonderfully creamy and light.
- Powdered Sugar – Also known as confectioners sugar, it is super fine and what makes these lemon cookies so sweet and creamy. You can make your own by putting granulated sugar into a food processor until fine and fluffy.
How To Make Lemon Cookies
- Prep – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Zest and juice your lemons.
- Combine – Butter, sugar, flour and starch in a large bowl or fitted stand mixer. Beat at a low speed to combine, scraping the side as needed.
- Chill dough in flat disk shape, rolled between sheets of parchment or wax paper (as pictured) for 1-2 hours until firm.
- Roll dough on a floured surface and cut into desired shapes. Ours were around ¼ of an inch thick, but you could leave them up to ½ an inch thick depending on desired thickness.
- Bake – Place on ungreased baking sheets – for easy cleanup I always line with parchment paper). Bake for up to 8 minutes – see notes below on baking times.
- Cool – Allow them to cool completely.
For the Frosting
- Combine – As cookies are cooling, make your delicious lemon frosting! Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat at a medium speed in your stand mixer until combined.
- Frost – Using a frosting tip or even a plastic bag, pipe a dab of frosting onto each cookie and enjoy!
Seriously, no skills required! If I can do it, anyone can! I’ve always wanted to learn how to decorate cakes (and cookies), but as they say, fake it ’til you make it! A $1 tip does the trick!
- Bake Time Will Vary – You will need to adjust your bake time based on how thick your cookies are and the size of your cookie cutters. They are ready when they are set (no moisture appearance in the middle) and slighty brown.
- Chill Dough – It is essential to chill the dough before cutting and baking the cookies. This will help to prevent spread and the dough will be easier to roll out.
- Use a Frosting Tip (or even a ziploc bag!) – This makes them oh so adorable, without any special skills! To use a ziploc bag, simply cut the corner off at an angle, fill the bag, remove air and seal. Squeeze to frost.
You can make the cookies ahead of time and store them in an airtight container for 2 or 3 days at room temperature. The frosting will keep covered in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
Unfrosted Lemon Cookies keep well frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. I like to place them in a freezer bag, followed by an airtight container so freezer odors don’t seep in.
More Cookie Recipes
If you try this recipe, please come back to share using my 5 star rating in the comments below! Not only do I appreciate it, but I know readers do, too!
Frosted Lemon Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter salted, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest freshly grated
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest freshly grated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine butter, lemon juice, flour, corn starch, powdered sugar and zest in a large bowl or fitted stand mixer on low, scraping as needed.
- Shape dough into a flat disk by rolling between sheets of parchment or wax paper (as pictured) and wrapping in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1-2 hours, or until firm.
- Roll dough on a floured surface and cut into desired shapes. Roll ¼ of an inch thick or up to ½ an inch thick.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for up to 8 minutes – see notes below on baking times. Allow to cool before frosting.
- Combine butter, zest, lemon juice and powdered sugar in a medium bowl or stand mixer.
- Using a frosting bag and tip or even a ziploc bag with the corner cut, pipe frosting onto each cookie and enjoy!