Learn how to make toffee with easy step by step instructions and video. Cracker Toffee (aka Saltine Toffee) is a classic Christmas Candy that you can’t keep your hands off of!
Perfect to give as a holiday food gift and so easy and quick to make, this is a classic, timeless no bake treat for Christmas and beyond.
I love making sweets that can be made on a whim, like those that require just a few minutes and only staple ingredients. I learned how to make toffee in an elementary school cooking class and have been making it from memory ever since. It’s so easy a second grader can do it (I’m proof!).
It doesn’t get any easier than this Cracker Toffee! It’s the ultimate shortcut recipe and like classic toffee it’s has a buttery, chocolatey sweet and salty taste you can’t resist!
You don’t even need a candy thermometer like you do in so many Christmas candy recipes!
Why You’ll Love this Christmas Crack Saltine Toffee Recipe
- So Easy to Make
- Perfect for Gifting
- Pantry Ingredients
- Flexible – Add any Toppings
- Keeps Well
Cracker Toffee Ingredients
You just need a few simple ingredients to make this tasty sweet treat!
- Crackers – You can also use Saltine Crackers, Ritz Crackers, even Graham Crackers!
- Butter – Salted or unsalted, your choice!
- Brown Sugar
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-Sweet are my favorite, but you can use milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate.
- Sea Salt Flakes
How to Make Toffee
To see how easy it is to make cracker toffee, watch the video in this post!
It won’t take you any longer than twenty minutes to make these toffee treats, and the recipe makes a huge batch. I promise you everyone will be asking for this recipe and they won’t believe how simple it is!
- Prep – Preheat oven. Line a jelly roll pan (or cookie sheet) with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Line with a single layer of saltine crackers. You can use Ritz crackers as well, but they don’t line up as well because of their circle shape. For a fun twist without the salt, you can even use graham crackers.
- Make Toffee Mixture – In a saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil – about 3 minutes.
- Pour mixture over the crackers and spread.
- Bake in the oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top and smooth on top.
- Cut into squares or triangles when cool.
Optional: Sprinkle with sea salt just before chocolate sets…
or M&M’s – your choice!
- Use a heat-proof spatula to spread the layers.
- For the chocolate, we use a good quality semisweet chocolate chip because that’s what we tend to have on hand. You can use milk or dark chocolate if you prefer.
- Add a topping for a bright pop of color and fun flavor. Think candies, nuts, sprinkles, the options are endless.
- For faster set-up, you can throw the entire pan into your refrigerator!
Frequently Asked Questions
Sweet, salty and perfectly chewy! It’s a delightful treat that keeps well and makes a beautiful gift.
If it’s a little chewy, that’s great – you don’t want it to be too hard, which makes it difficult to bite into it and enjoy. Make sure you’re boiling for long enough to allow the sugars to come together.
This Recipe is Perfect For Holiday Food Gifts
Remember, it’s not just for Christmas either – sprinkle it with red, white and blue sprinkles for 4th of July or red hearts for Valentine’s. Don’t limit yourself to just having this saltine cracker toffee just once a year!
I’m always receiving special requests my cracker toffee! You’d never guess the secret that lies beneath the chocolate and buttery brown sugar layers in this saltine cracker toffee. That’s why it’s one of my favorite edible gifts to give, too!
You can place an assortment in a small box or tin or in cellophane bags, tied with a ribbon.
How to Store
- Room Temperature – This Christmas crack cracker toffee will last for 3-4 days at room temperature. (But good luck – it goes fast in my house!)
- Refrigerator – This sweet and salty homemade candy will last for up to a week, when stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Separate the layers with parchment.
- Freezer – Place it in a freezer safe bag and freeze for up to three months.
Hungry for more easy recipes? Sign up for my free recipe club and have amazing recipes delivered directly to your inbox each week!
Looking for more easy holiday gifts? Learn how to make hot chocolate bombs here!
How to Make Toffee (Cracker Toffee)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with a sleeve of saltine crackers.
- In a saucepan on medium, combine butter and brown sugar. Stir continuously for 5 minutes.. When it comes to a boil, slowly pour mixture over crackers and spread with a spatula. It doesn't have to be perfect!
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips, allow a minute or two to melt, smoothing the chocolate with a spatula.
- Top with nuts, fresh cracked salt or M&M’s.
- Once it has completely set you can refrigerate to speed the process, cut or break into pieces.
- Crackers – Saltine Crackers, Ritz Crackers, even Graham Crackers
- Butter – Salted or unsalted, your choice
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-Sweet, milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate
- sea salt flakes
- Reese’s Pieces
- crushed peppermint
- Keep your eye on the toffee while boiling. Make sure you boil it for 3 minutes (set a timer if needed) so it doesn’t burn.
- Use a heat-proof spatula to spread the toffee and chocolate layers.
To StoreStore in an airtight container at room temperature or refrigerated for up to a week.
Estimated nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is not guaranteed.