Gooey Butter Cake
The best Gooey Butter Cake recipe, a sweet and rich breakfast danish.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
- 1 Golden Butter Recipe Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 c powdered sugar (1 pound)
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9x12" pan.
Mix cake mix, butter and eggs until thick and smooth.
Spread and press mixture in pan (with the back of a spatula or your hands).
Mix the remaining ingredients on low until smooth. Pour over cake mixture. Sprinkle powdered sugar on top to garnish.
Bake 45 minutes, leaving it slightly gooey. You'll notice a slight crust on top rather than a jelly texture.
Garnish with sprinkles of powdered sugar, cool and serve.
Optional Fold Ins
- chocolate chips
- lemon juice and or lemon zest
- espresso powder
- toasted coconut
- Grease your pan so that the cake doesn't stick. This is the best baking spray.
- Bake in whatever dish you have on hand - 9x11, 9x13, 8x11, etc. Adjust bake time as needed.
- It's done when a crust has formed on the top, yet the cake is slightly gooey and jiggles a bit when you shake the dish.
- Make it ahead or bake and enjoy.
Serve at room temperature for a breakfast danish or warm and serve a la mode for dessert.
- Refrigerate - The cake will last between for 1-2 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Freeze - You can also freeze the cake for up to a month by wrapping it in plastic wrap or in a large freezer bag.
Calories: 369.86kcal | Carbohydrates: 61.01g | Protein: 3.34g | Fat: 13.11g | Saturated Fat: 7.64g | Cholesterol: 65.64mg | Sodium: 366.61mg | Potassium: 49.21mg | Fiber: 0.41g | Sugar: 46.74g | Vitamin A: 439.67IU | Calcium: 94.29mg | Iron: 0.95mg