Brown Butter Icing
Kick your cookies up a notch for fall with Brown Butter Frosting! It uses just 3 staple ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to make.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 24 servings
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or heavy cream
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter until it turns golden in color and has a nutty aroma. Remove from heat and allow to cool 10-15 minutes.
Pour butter into a large mixing bowl,and gradually add in powdered sugar. Add milk and beat until smooth.
- When you brown the butter, I find it's best to use a light colored pan so you can see when the butter starts to brown and it's less likely to burn.
- Be sure to cool cookies and cakes before frosting them or you run the risk of it melting and sliding off.
- If you prefer a runnier icing, add a little milk, a bit at a time, until you have the desired consistency.
- The frosting can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator and bring it up to room temperature before using.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 68mg | Potassium: 2mg | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 235IU | Calcium: 3mg